The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 05:54 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Steelhead report 3/7/2012

I sometimes wonder why I even bother to check the weather channel. It was extremely windy and was nowhere near 40+ degrees as they stated. Despite being semi-uncomfortable in the early AM, I still had a successful day. Going 4 for 5 with 2 Steelhead and 2 Browns turned another dismal conditions day into a fun day on the fly.

Pictured below are 3 of the fish caught and a solo Stonefly Nymph - Capniidae, crawling on a small island on the river. I put my stonefly imitation fly I tied next to him. It's not a perfect tie, but it seems good enough to fool a chromer.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:01 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Steelhead report 3/7/2012

Nice fish, James! So you get the poor weather and the good fishing, we get the unusually good weather and poorer fishing. I'll take the poorer weather with the side of good fishing, thanks

What size is the imitation?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-07-2012, 11:15 PM

johnnie555 is on a distinguished road

Sweet looking steel!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:03 AM

I tie size 10 TMC nymph hooks. The stonefly that hatches is actually about a size 16. Obviously, you can see my nymph is bigger, but it seems to work. Yeah, the weather channel keeps telling me that it's going to be good temps but they always fall short. When it actually DOES warm up here, the fish go crazy. It's only starting to wake up here.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

It was 53 degrees up on the shores of Lake Superior yesterday for most of the day. It's 26 now. It's sure warms things up around here with that South wind.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:32 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough

As of the 7th (wednesday) the Tributary rivers in my area (East Central Wisconsin) are starting to get blown out, on the 8th they only got worse. Up 2-3ft over "normal" and clear as mud, well maybe clear as watery mud.

James, Does it seem to you that some rivers don't have any noticeable population of Fish over the winter? I have been out twice this year and haven't had nary a strike. Have fished 2 differnt rivers. I have tried nymphs and various egg patterns. This is only my 2nd spring fishing steelhead. But it seems as if its really hit or miss big time. I have a good friend that also fishes Steelhead. He keeps track of times out, number of fish caught, conditions that sort of stuff. He has stated that historically he will go fishing maybe twice for every fish caught in the spring while in the fall he will average about 4 fish per day. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:41 PM

@Rockriver, Yeah I would like to get some warmer temps and have them be stable. It looks like next week will be prime.

@klunker, The only thing I noticed that was different from last winter was the flow and slight lack of lake-run browns. I think that this was because of the lower CFS in the rivers I fished. I had a decent winter in my opinion otherwise. Our CFS is incredibly low right now, but that will change when the run off hits. Last year we were blown out in almost all rivers during prime steelhead season. Were the rivers really low where you and your friend were fishing this winter? It's hard to say why you weren't seeing your typical catches. Also, winter time fly fishing can be hit or miss depending MUCH on conditions. I have days when I KNOW the fish are there but because of the brutal conditions or pressure systems they won't take or barely touch a small nymph and aren't hooked well. When the temps are stable or on the rise they slam my patterns and are caught in good numbers.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'm hoping to make it down there for a day of fishing yet this spring. Next week is looking like summer up here.