The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 05:40 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Beautiful day for fishing/scouting

Drove up to Dekalb, Il today and fished the Kishwaukee river for a hour and half. Although it is a river, the section of water I fished was more of a creek but it had promise... at first.
Click the image to open in full size.

I had seen this creek years ago when I lived in the area for school but at the time I wasn't someone who fished often. This log jam looked nice at first but after tossing fly after fly at every angle I could find with no success I moved on.

I traveled a little further downstream tossing to the shoreline and playing along the cover and different flows. This was a great little hike and I didn't photo as much as I should but will be back in the summer to hit the holes and logjams I scouted out today.

After I was done in Dekalb I returned home to Plainfield. I fished a new creek to me off of lockport street. Lily Cache creek the section of creek I covered was shallow for the most part some places only a few inches deep but I did find holes.

I walked along this creek for an hr and a half with my fly mostly attached to my handle due to the space between fishable waters. I saw a few minnows but not much more than that. No success here either, but will return in the summer as well. Later when I got home I looked up this creek on google earth quickly found out I was fishing some of the narrowest parts of the creek and as a creek as a whole this section was scenic and not where I will expect to fish in the summer. I found some different sections that I will try.

So in the end, I had a great day hiking through some new waters for me and scouted a few places out for the summer. But SKUNKED. Oh well great casting practice for when it counts. So good luck and hope to see you out there.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beautiful day for fishing/scouting

We all get skunked from time to time, nothing to worry about. Loved your photos of the streams and better luck next time out!

Larry
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Thanks I'm just glad I got to get out on new water. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pictures of fish soon.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:03 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

pkins44,
thats my home river!
it is slow this time of year, too cold for much activity.
give it another month and you'll encounter a totally different environment

casey

ARFE
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Awesome and glad to hear there are indeed fish in there because nothing I threw in there worked haha. Its slow down here on the dupage river too, I assume its still a bit cold. I cant wait for it to warm up and especially to get back to the Kish. I wish I could've explored more but didn't have long. Maybe Ill see you out there. Good luck
Old 03-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

like the fellows have said before me, early season can be a little slow. Here I take a week long float as soon as the ice goes out and if I catch half a dozen in 5 or 6 days it was a good trip. Your pictures and descriptions make it clear that you had a good time just being there.

Great post bud,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;