The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2012, 12:40 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default The last few days of winter are over... spring steelhead and browns get hot!

These pictures are from the last few days of river fishing for lake-run Browns and Steelhead.

On 3-13-2012, I almost had the holy grail of lake-run river fish, almost had all 3; rainbow, brown and brook trout. Landed 2 steelhead, a brown and lost a small coaster. So close! They are very rare in Michigan.

The spring run fish are pushing their way up tribs right now. As the CFS climbs, the fishing gets better and better.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 PM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The last few days of winter are over... spring steelhead and browns get hot!

What a day! Congrats!
Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Those really get the blood pumping. Thanks for sharing those pics. Those were some beautiful fish.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: The last few days of winter are over... spring steelhead and browns get hot!

The tribs in my neck of the woods are high (+1 1/2-2 feet over "normal") and dirty. The Spawn Sackers are doing real good as these conditions really lend themselves to this type of fishing. I think most fly fishers are staying home cause of the high water. Today (3-14) I managed to catch my 1st steelhead using a fly I tied myself. I have seen some nice northerns (30+" area) caught and the big lake suckers are starting to be caught in dip nets in the tribs. Water temp is in the upper 40's already. At this time last year it was mid 30's.
Hope water clears up some before all the fish have had enough and head back to the lake. I won't be surprised if smallies and carp start showing up in the tribs.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

A river I fish just jumped to 3,000 CFS!!! Not too happy about that. I will be searching other steelhead rivers in the meantime. Usually the river I fish doesn't reach 1,500 (which is dangerous.) Going to hunt down superior chrome on Thursday and tomorrow morning, going to look for monster browns and steel on another well known Wisconsin river.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:38 PM

A river I fish just jumped to 3,000 CFS!!! Not too happy about that. I will be searching other steelhead rivers in the meantime. Usually the river I fish doesn't reach 1,500 (which is dangerous.) Going to hunt down superior chrome on Thursday.