The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 03:33 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default SteelBass !!!!!

Would make a great combo but here is my report from today...

So WOW.. this is the 5th or 6th day with record warmth here in the NW Indiana. I have been itching to get out. Today I was able to get out for a few hours and man was it nice. I know the spring steelhead run is in full swing but I looks like it all messed up. Compared to last year the fish were running up little by little each week. With the warmer temps last week we seen a huge surge. This week fish are falling back and lots of steelhead have came to the end of road. One part of the creek looks like a murder scene. I counted about 12 steelhead on the shores washed up after their spawn. I seen alot of fish getting ready to do the same. I dont know if its going to last till end of April. But we have some storms rolling in and maybe that will bring a new push of fish up. The Mother SUCKER run is happening also. I landed over 30 or so on the fly rod today.

Today I went 6 for 8 today on a bunny leech. Then at a undisclosed location were steelies are not the norm. I seen about 10 of them jumping into a lake up a dam. This lake does not hold steelies at all. I lost one at my feet on a egg pattern.

Well the photos of the day......

Enjoy and Tight Lines

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: SteelBass !!!!!

Great catches. When the temps jump up, Steelhead have no choice but to spawn. Everything they do is based on temp. They will all push for spawning territories while they can and start cutting redds very soon as well.