The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 09:26 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default Smallies on the Du page

A few pictures from the last week. The smallies have come out for the warm temps. Caught about 20 fish the last week. Only a few pictures, unfortunately the the largest fish for me this season is also my worst picture but here it goes. The big one was 19" a lil over 4lbs, felt like a cinder block trucking through the river. He ate a beadheaded olive wooly bugger the other two were on white zonkers.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Smallies on the Du page

looks like a great outing!!
man, we're like 45 miles apart and i've never fished the dupage before.
we should go fishin

casey

ARFE
Old 04-02-2012, 09:24 AM

Casey,
We definitely need to get together. Might be heading back to the Kishawaukee on Wednesday, Ill let you know. But you definitely need to come down and fish the dupage river sometime. It has become my favorite body of water for smallie fishing. The river is loaded with them.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The spawners will be running into the Tribs here shortly if not already. Thanks for this post, you got me fired up for some lake run red eyes!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM

dry_fly is on a distinguished road

Great catches! Wow what stretch of the DuPage? I've not had much success this spring with the Fox?
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM

I fish mostly from plainfield and down through shorewood. Lately I have only had an hr here or there, so I have been trying to maximize my time by fishing from the banks and forgoing waders. If you have trouble finding decent access pm me and Ill help you out.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 04-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the tip, need to check it out. Is it wade-able, or are there any holes to watch out for?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:40 AM

The river on average is only about 3ft deep, usually with a gravel bottom. There are a few pools I have found that will go above my chest high waders but I havent found any that just drop off without warning. Most of the pools slowly get deeper and unless your watching the clouds for 100ft or so you might get wet. The only section I have heard of that you need to be careful on is a section in Shorewood IL, at Hammel woods forest preserve. I have heard that directly upstream from the damn the bottom tends to be very muddy and a couple of deeper pools you could get into trouble with,again you would have to not pay attention to where you're going. I have personally walked this section and found that going a 1000' upstream from the damn the bottom becomes gravel and back to the normal depths of the river.

The Dupage ,although I have not explored much of it, is one river that I feel safe wading by myself.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:55 PM

Thanks, I'll have to head south to check it out... Skunked again yesterday on the Fox in Geneva :-(
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Nice smallies! My mother in law lives in Plainfield and I always drive right over the Dupage near the Miejer. For years I have been telling myself that I need to throw the waders on and go fish it - looks like more motivation!