The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My First Carp Ever!

Pkins, I feel your addiction. It is insane! An actually the middle to last part of May is usally Carp time.

I have been hitting the Carp spot about four days a week with workand weather and I am at a loss when I am not.
Here is one of Yesterdays for me.

Click the image to open in full size.

Still liking that yellow Glow Bug:

I am so happy for you new comers to Urban Bones, keep them comin'
Old 04-12-2012, 03:52 PM

dry_fly is on a distinguished road

love me some sh*torus carpus! They are a blast when you catch them rising on dry's!
Old 04-12-2012, 10:54 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I think I might need to get a bigger net I have got to do this.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mentioned that. When I hooked the first one, I got it close. I looked at the Carp then the net...and figure of speech, scratched my head.
I literally scoop the head in the net, lay the rod down and grab the tail.
The net makes the trips stuck behind my spare tire as they do wear strong perfume.LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 09:49 AM

I took the old man out to my Carp Spot yesterday. Well, large percentage of catching carp is sight fishin but I have caught then blindly, just casting count down and strip.
With the storm front pounding through, there was very little visual. Just a tail now and then.
I really wanted hubby to feel the fight on these things, but it was a bad day.
Finally I hooked one that took off running down river so I followed. Mojo reeled his line in and when I got to him I handed him the rod.
OMG this one fought! I looked and he was smiling, who wouldn't!
I tried to net this guy twice, which means scoop the head in the net and grab tail.
I proceeded to lift the carp out and he is laughing saying we need a bigger net.
So, now you get to see ME holding this biggest to day "MIRROR" Carp.

I am not sure I would have landed this by myself.
jpbfly and mbphotos54 like this.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:10 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

sweet!. I am going to try to make a white deer hair bread fly,, and pick up some shop made flys this week, Im going to look for this glowbug, any other good ones to look for? ill be hitting a pond next week known to have carp.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 PM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough

Looks like a lot of fun with those carp Joni. I have been spending most of my time on the river chasing carp with not much success. They are feeding extremely close to shore and with all the people that would much rather throw stones at the carp than fish for them they tend to flee at the sight of people. It makes it more of a challenge, but that is fine by me. Unfortunately, with the terrible storms coming through Illinois the last couple of days the river is raging. But it will give me some time to research some more carp flies to tie up until I find a effective pattern for this stretch. So as mbphotos said, if anyone has suggestions it is all appreciated.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com
Old 04-15-2012, 10:57 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Mike, just pick up some chenille and tie the glo-bugs yourself, you will save a LOT of money that way. Egg-style flies are the biggest rip in the industry when it comes to shop-tied flies.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

I plan to hit bps wednesday for stuff, it seems my shop even though we are able to get alot of bps stuff from our dealer program, we cant get hardly any fly stuff, so... ill be getting hooks lead eyes, cone heads, and materials at the big store.. like I needed another reason to go