The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM

pkins44 will become famous soon enoughpkins44 will become famous soon enough
Default My First Carp Ever!

I caught this fish outta my usual river. I was using my hand tied white zonker, the same pattern I just made for the bass fly swap. I had my 8wt TFO rod and Lamson Konic reel. The water was extremely clear I could see about halfway across the river, a cool morning 50* or so. I saw a group of carp eating off the bottom and stirring up quite a bit of silt. I crouched down to one knee cause I was under a tree. Did some sort of side cast about 10' up and past them. Then, slowly with tiny strips worked the fly along the bottom pausing between strips until it was only a 1' in front of the group. I waited for the fly to settle on the bottom and just twitched the line a little to get a tad more action from the fly. The big carp of the group took notice and cruised on over and began to suck. I slowly striped in line until I could feel the fish and with a slight jerk the fight was on. I had to crank down my drag a little and take a several minutes to tire him out. After a couple of runs to the other side of the river (60' or so) he was tired and let me take a picture of him with my feet and my white zonker in his mouth. Then I released him and watched him disappear back into the river.
Click the image to open in full size.
Joni likes this.

Last edited by pkins44; 04-07-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:04 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: My First Carp Ever!

Can't see your photos, but I know the excitement! Caught my first fly-rod carp the other day, a small one (18"), but an AMAZING 20 minute battle on my little 7' 3/4 wt.! I can see more carp fishing in my future!

Congrats on the catch!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 04-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just placed a 'Sticky' in the Faq's threads that should be helpful for getting pictures on threads.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM

OK I think the pictures are fixed now. Thanks for letting me know they were showing up on my computer. hah
Old 04-09-2012, 07:40 AM

troutchops is on a distinguished road

Cool..Good catch!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Welcome to the addiction.....dont catch too many, or all you will want to do is carp.....

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-09-2012, 09:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Congrats n your first one! Carp are very addictive....

Dan
Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Well the addiction is here. I found myself passing on some smallies this morning to have some more throws at carp. Carp add a challenge to the hunt with a big reward. The fish in my neck of the woods are relatively not fished and I see some 25lbers often, I just never knew they would take a fly. Hopefully Ill be able to post a few more fish next time. I want to thank Justin at Allen flyfishing. I made a mistake about a promotion that ran last year and went ahead and sent my info to him. And even though I was a year late Justin made it happen. Ill be visiting his site more often Allenflyfishing.com. Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement Ill try to keep you updated. The work season is coming up soon and Ill have to die down the frequency of my trips unfortunately.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

im hoping to get a carp this year, I really want to hook up with one of the monster grassies at a local pond.. the beasts look like torpedos
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM

I can't wait to hook up with the next carp either. I keep scaring away the monsters on my stretch of the river. I didn't think I was that ugly but I guess that proves me wrong. Carpin' is quickly turning into an obsession. I've been working on a couple of flies specifically for carp one may have some promise. I'll let you know if I hook up with another golden bone tomorrow morning. I haven't had too much time to get out the past couple of days but will have a few hours tomorrow. Good luck out there.

http://www.dupageriverflyfishing.com