The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2007, 12:18 PM

dirkdigler2102 is on a distinguished road
Default Steelhead slump

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone knew why the steelhead fishing is so slow in the Indiana/SW Michigan area? Is it the weather? Just a question to throw out there.

Thanks,
DIRK
Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default Re: Steelhead slump

not to my river in ohio yet neither. don't feel bad. must be the warm weather?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM

JagXJ684 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to JagXJ684

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
not to my river in ohio yet neither. don't feel bad. must be the warm weather?
George, where do you fish? I see you're in Lorain. I live in Lakewood, and I'm just getting started. My friend goes on the Rocky River all the time, so I'll probably tag along with him, but I'd like to know where to go. Let me know any ideas you might have.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold

usually go to vermilion river. belive me I am slumped! skunked whatever ya call it! not one steelhead yet on a fly rod! the spin cast guys r having luck but I refuse! lol... actually so far this winter I never seen one to cast too! just one jump and the water was really high and muddy lately. hopefully it gets better like in the spring!. I am jealous of you rocky river guys! I here guys with reports of 20 or more fish in one day! i hear the rocky is very busy tho. that you got to wait in line to fish. thats why I never tried it. I like some space.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:47 AM

larrysmith9865 is on a distinguished road

When I lived in Pa fishing the walnut creek in Erie when all else failed I used skain (steelhead eggs) Where we fished you didnt have to throw far. Heres is the tip of the day take them home freeze them the night before you go take out and let thaw THE STEELHEAD LOVE IT. Last time me and my son went nobody was catching we got there and started catching one after other litteraly we would both have fish on same time of course didnt take long for all other anglers to gather in our hole but anyhow give it a try if all else fails it does work
Old 12-28-2007, 04:33 PM

George...you might want to make a trip to the Rocky this weekend. I just read a report at this site: Cleveland Metroparks - Rocky River Fishing Report , that shows an almost record catch this week: 35 inches, probably 17lbs.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:58 PM

never been to the rock. I hear its busy and that sometimes you got to wait in line to fish?

Old 01-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I fished it for a few hours for the first time on Sunday and it wasn't too bad. Don't get me wrong, there was a fisherman about every 50 yards down the river, but not on top of each other. Nobody was catching anything though.
Old 01-02-2008, 12:15 AM

cool thanks for the info. I caught one steelie this spring but it was on a spincast. now I am into flying it. the water is so high and muddy its basically a guessing game when casting the flies. I can't wait for it to look like it did this spring all clear so you can see um. mayeb I will catch one finally then!

Old 01-02-2008, 02:31 AM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

George, I attended a clinic last month with an accomplished steelheader who had some advice for high water, low visibility, generally blown out conditions. he suggested fishing just a few feet off the bank in areas where there is slower water, eddys, or undercuts. The fish get pushed to the perimeter by the high flows.

I've not put this in to practice but the theory is that this is one of the times when the fish are the most accessible and tend to be opportunistic in feeding.