The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   fly fishing lake erie in a boat (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/2666-fly-fishing-lake-erie-boat.html)

GeorgeMcFly 10-29-2007 11:28 PM

fly fishing lake erie in a boat

ever since I started fly fishing we never use my boat anymore. but I don't want it to go to waste. we used to always go walleye and perch fishing but noone wants to go really anymore just hit the river and fly fish.. guess what I am trying to say is there anyway I could incorporate fly fishing on the lake in a boat? even if you drifted or casted some clouser minnows. wouldn't you catch some white bass? maybe not on a real wavy day but maybe a decent day? what could you catch? do you need sinking line? to me it would be fun to even catch white bass all day on a fly rod! what a fight that would be! prolly catch a damn seagull or something. I kno you can't be casting away on a boat with alot of people. just me and one guy prolly. would it work? if so what can you use and what can you catch?

Joe D 11-01-2007 06:04 PM

Re: fly fishing lake erie in a boat

GeorgeMcFly,

Most of the game fish in Lake Erie can be targeted with a fly rod. You have to pick your seasons when the fish you want to catch are in water easily reached with a fly. Smallmouth bass, white bass, steelhead, pike, perch and others will take flies.

Having floating and sink tip lines would give you an advantage.

Have at it!

tie one on 11-02-2007 09:28 AM

Why not fish from a boat ?? I do, as often as I can. I own a
drift boat, so flyfishing from it is great.

That's the way my Father taught me to flyfish was from a boat.
Maybe not on as large as Lake Erie, but still from a boat. We
targeted Bluegill mostly, but would hook into Largemouth, Smallmouth, Crappie. I am originally from Ohio, but never had the opportunity to
fish Lake Erie. I've seen numerous articles in flyfishing magazines
where they were on Lake Erie hooking into some awesome Smallmouth.

The water they were covering was approximately 5-6 feet, maybe
more. Try a sink tip, or weighted flies to get it down then hold on.
You probably want to use a minimum of a 6wt. Try it out.

Tie One On

GeorgeMcFly 11-02-2007 11:59 AM

I got a 6wt and 8wt.. wonder what it be like to catch a huge walleye haha. oh well we will give it a try! too late for this year tho I think.

dirkdigler2102 05-05-2008 08:47 PM

nice job on the tss...you did well...smile. The bad thing is you need to make your site work! You are made...thats NOT a good way to start a site out. Just my two cents....

fishenrg 05-09-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly (Post 15933)
I got a 6wt and 8wt.. wonder what it be like to catch a huge walleye haha. oh well we will give it a try! too late for this year tho I think.

Though I live a bit farther north than Lake Erie (Traverse City, MI) so my seasons may be a little later than yours, you still may have some luck with walleye. In the spring and the fall people have good luck on a lake around here while wading. Then tend to be shallower this time of year, especially in the evenings/night. By shallower I mean they are sometimes so shallow their fins will stick out over the top of the water...though this usually only happens when wind is blowing minnows shallow. So give it a shot still, I think its not too late for you!

HuronRiverDan 05-09-2008 07:41 AM

I would think the time is still right for the eyes...Night time they do come in and chase minnows in the shallows.

Dan