The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly
Default fly fishing lake erie in a boat

ever since I started fly fishing we never use my boat anymore. but I don't want it to go to waste. we used to always go walleye and perch fishing but noone wants to go really anymore just hit the river and fly fish.. guess what I am trying to say is there anyway I could incorporate fly fishing on the lake in a boat? even if you drifted or casted some clouser minnows. wouldn't you catch some white bass? maybe not on a real wavy day but maybe a decent day? what could you catch? do you need sinking line? to me it would be fun to even catch white bass all day on a fly rod! what a fight that would be! prolly catch a damn seagull or something. I kno you can't be casting away on a boat with alot of people. just me and one guy prolly. would it work? if so what can you use and what can you catch?

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:04 PM

Joe D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly fishing lake erie in a boat

GeorgeMcFly,

Most of the game fish in Lake Erie can be targeted with a fly rod. You have to pick your seasons when the fish you want to catch are in water easily reached with a fly. Smallmouth bass, white bass, steelhead, pike, perch and others will take flies.

Having floating and sink tip lines would give you an advantage.

Have at it!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:28 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Why not fish from a boat ?? I do, as often as I can. I own a
drift boat, so flyfishing from it is great.

That's the way my Father taught me to flyfish was from a boat.
Maybe not on as large as Lake Erie, but still from a boat. We
targeted Bluegill mostly, but would hook into Largemouth, Smallmouth, Crappie. I am originally from Ohio, but never had the opportunity to
fish Lake Erie. I've seen numerous articles in flyfishing magazines
where they were on Lake Erie hooking into some awesome Smallmouth.

The water they were covering was approximately 5-6 feet, maybe
more. Try a sink tip, or weighted flies to get it down then hold on.
You probably want to use a minimum of a 6wt. Try it out.

Tie One On
Old 11-02-2007, 11:59 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

I got a 6wt and 8wt.. wonder what it be like to catch a huge walleye haha. oh well we will give it a try! too late for this year tho I think.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 PM

dirkdigler2102 is on a distinguished road

nice job on the tss...you did well...smile. The bad thing is you need to make your site work! You are made...thats NOT a good way to start a site out. Just my two cents....
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM

fishenrg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
I got a 6wt and 8wt.. wonder what it be like to catch a huge walleye haha. oh well we will give it a try! too late for this year tho I think.
Though I live a bit farther north than Lake Erie (Traverse City, MI) so my seasons may be a little later than yours, you still may have some luck with walleye. In the spring and the fall people have good luck on a lake around here while wading. Then tend to be shallower this time of year, especially in the evenings/night. By shallower I mean they are sometimes so shallow their fins will stick out over the top of the water...though this usually only happens when wind is blowing minnows shallow. So give it a shot still, I think its not too late for you!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I would think the time is still right for the eyes...Night time they do come in and chase minnows in the shallows.

Dan