The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM

mikeman715 is on a distinguished road
Default Fly fishing in Lake Michigan

Hey guys, I apologize; I posted this in the wrong thread before. So there is now two of them...

Anway, I live 5 minutes from lake michigan, and decided I want to start fishing it..with a fly.
My question is what kind of flies should I be using? I'd like to get some salmon, trout, and bass!
Let me know what colors, patterns, and how to fish them, please.

Any help would be great.

P.S.- I plan on fishing in the harbor, near the boat launch.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 PM

klunker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fly fishing in Lake Michigan

Your not too far from me. My experience with Lake Michigan fishing is almost all tributary fishing. Fall is best, spring is very hard, flow is usually high and dirty making fishing hard. I have only fished the lake itself once at the mouth of a trib. with no luck. Am going to try fishing it soon for smallmouths tho. Go out and it give it a try, see what the other anglers are catching them on and copy as best as you can for a start. Good Luck.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I was born and raised on the big lake, Michigan side. Though I didn't fly fish much before I left, just streams and tribs. I image if you want to catch fish in the lake on a fly, cruising carp would be best option. When the Skamania run I bet you could fish flies from a pier head for them, though hardware is the standard.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I also grew up in Michigan. Ask around your area about carp. It's a great wading fishery in some area's on the Michigan side.
In the fall and spring we used to float tube for fish hanging around the trips. Some very nice fish can be had as long as the weather cooperates and the stink boats are absent.

Last edited by Jackster; 06-02-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:48 AM

Thank for the suggestions, guys. I went out today and tried a few streamers with no luck. I think I may need to go a bit deeper.
As for the carp... I wish I could bring myself to fish for them, but they are so gross
Old 06-02-2012, 11:51 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman715 View Post
Thank for the suggestions, guys. I went out today and tried a few streamers with no luck. I think I may need to go a bit deeper.
As for the carp... I wish I could bring myself to fish for them, but they are so gross
I've never done it either, but the people that do rave about it. Hell, I've talked to guys that work in fly shops in places like trout fishing mecca, Ennis, Montana that go seek out carp to cast to!

The Drake magazine published an article about carp fishing on the Lake Michigan "flats" off one of the islands, maybe Beaver. White sand, crystal clear fresh water and sight fishing to big, strong fish...sounds good to me. Actually, the Big Lake is just about the only thing I miss about my home.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Yeah, thats what I've heard. Maybe I need to stop being such a sissy!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:22 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeman715 View Post
Yeah, thats what I've heard. Maybe I need to stop being such a sissy!
I wouldn't. I hate carp and will not fish for them.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM

So, I was fishing today... decided to switch out the fly rod, as I had no luck with it. Within the first 6 casts with a bait-caster I latched on to a monster fish!

No, not cool. It was a giant giant carp.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I live on the shore of Lake Superior, and I've seen Eagles take trout in 3 or 4 feet of water depth. Most of the smaller boats that do spring fishing here are trolling in 10 foot or less of water. I've tried out new rods here on the lake, but have yet to connect. There are fish in the water here, but I'm sure I'll connect one of these days with a fly rod.