The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LenHarris

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:34 AM

LenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to beholdLenHarris is a splendid one to behold
Default Wooly Apids

Click the image to open in full size.
These Wooly Apids were all over yesterday. The trout were almost churning the water after them. They were in a size 18 or 20.

What would you throw to imitate ???
fredaevans likes this.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wooly Apids

What an interesting insect! That might take a custom fly, tied like a tiny mouse pattern with wings, except in white instead of brown. White dubbing head, black hackle legs with calf tail wing posts and maybe a white deer hair abdomen and a bit of white marabou tail to mimic the wooliness? Should float well too? I'm just guessing here, I don't know if maybe CDC would mimic the wooliness better once the fly gets wet? Maybe even a teeny zonker strip drowned in floatant?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 PM

jeed will become famous soon enough

i'de say a kate mclaren with a bead head.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:41 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Can't go wrong with a Griffen's Gant. If you want throw some CDC on for a wing.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

WT might be on to something, a griffiths gnat with white peacock herl and CDC wing might swing it!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Wooly Apids

Whoooa!

Now that's a totally new one to me; off to Google!
Fred
Old 06-26-2012, 07:24 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Everything you ever wanted to know about Wooly Apids.

Genus Eriosoma - BugGuide.Net

Scott