The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM

jonathan9367 is on a distinguished road
Default Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati Metro Area)

Hey everyone this is my first post, and I am just trying to find some good streams, mouths on the ohio, and nice ponds around the area. Hopefully no more than 30mi from sharonville Ohio. Just started fly fishing and im mainly looking for places to go for trout. Thanks in advance!\

Old 07-12-2012, 06:51 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Southwest Ohio (Cincinnati Metro Area)

Welcome Jonathan.

I'll take a whack at it...
You are going to be hard pressed to find trout fishing anywhere in your area let alone Ohio in general. We have great steelhead fishing up here in the northeast, but outside of that, the only 2 public access rivers that have trout are Mad River near Dayton (probably your best bet), and the Clear Fork of the Mohican north of Columbus. Both are nice rivers, but the drive for me is not worth the trip and I'd just assume drive East to PA. I will tell you, that if you go to the Mad, its not your typical trout stream...Looks like an irrigation ditch for the farmland that it runs through, but the water is cold and it holds trout.

Mad River Outfitters near Dublin/Columbus is very knowledgeable on both rivers so if you need more info on them or are looking to find spots, they will point you in the right direction.
I'd stick with Bass, Bluegill, or Carp if I was in your area and you wanted to get a line wet. Otherwise, you are gonna have to travel to find trout streams.
Holler if you have any more questions.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Ghocevar hit the nail on its head. You're better off crossing over into Kentucky from where your at. I recently read a saddening report as to the health of Ohio's trout that confirms why I drive to PA to trout fish.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 AM

recriger will become famous soon enough

Your first post? Mine too!
Anyway, in reply to your post about Trout in Ohio. I just started fly fishing here about 2 months ago. The wife and I just recently moved here (Cincinnati) and just last week took our first vacation in 4 years. Part of that vacation was a day trip into Indiana. I live down here in Anderson township so it is a bit more than the 30 minutes you mentioned (internet says 35 miles fron Cincinnati), but Brookville Lake releases Trout below their damn. I guess it is referred to as a Trout Fishery. There are 2 parking access areas for anglers before the park entrance. I'm really looking forward to trying it out here real soon. We had a restless 2yr old the day we drove out so I couldn't try it then.

My wife works in Sharonville and has 2 co-workers who commute from Indiana. One is a big fisherman. He claims the Trout fishing is real good there at Brookville. Of course he is a spin caster. I can't say much, he still knows more on the subject than me .
Old 07-13-2012, 09:25 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

OP,
Now that you have the info on which streams / rivers to target for trout around here (Cincinnati), I would like to raise some awareness around handling the fish in these 'hot' weather times. Ignore the following if you plan to harvest the fish (per the DNR size regulations).
The waters are quite low and the increasing water temps cause the fish to get worn out a lot quicker than during cooler times. Try to limit the time the fish spend out of water (for pictures etc) when you catch them. Last week-end I came across a couple of browns that were floating dead in the water.

You may know all this, so hope that I am not being pedantic.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:27 AM

jonathan9367 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
OP,
Now that you have the info on which streams / rivers to target for trout around here (Cincinnati), I would like to raise some awareness around handling the fish in these 'hot' weather times. Ignore the following if you plan to harvest the fish (per the DNR size regulations).
The waters are quite low and the increasing water temps cause the fish to get worn out a lot quicker than during cooler times. Try to limit the time the fish spend out of water (for pictures etc) when you catch them. Last week-end I came across a couple of browns that were floating dead in the water.

You may know all this, so hope that I am not being pedantic.
Oh believe me I know, i only have fish out long when the fly gets "swallowed"
Old 07-13-2012, 02:37 PM

yspaik is on a distinguished road

I'm new to fly fishing as well (about a month). As others have mentioned, not much as in trout fishing (Brookville, Mad River), but there are plenty of areas along the little Miami that you can wade and fish for river smallies, etc.

Check out BUFF for locations to launch and wade along the Miami near Cincinnati.