The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Salmon River trip this fall

Ben, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the lodges in the Salmon River area, but I will ask my friend when I get back to Buffalo soon and get back to you. Also, if you want to fish in the Buffalo area at all you are welcome to crash at my apartment, as long as you aren't allergic/bothered by dogs.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Hey Ben,

I live and fish in and around the SR.I could list a bunch of dives,and a bunch of lodges.It all depends on what you are looking for.My choice would be The Victorian in Altmar.Nice B and B.Been in it a bunch of times and is well maintained.Owned and Operated by Bob and Cindy Lockwood @ 845-279-4299.The resident guide is Walt Geryk.Mostly spey but does a lot of single fly.You can check out his site @ Fly & Spey Fish New York & Massachusetts: Steelhead, Trout and Salmon Fishing Guides.
Good Luck and yet me know what you think.
Scott
Old 07-30-2012, 01:30 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Ben, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the lodges in the Salmon River area, but I will ask my friend when I get back to Buffalo soon and get back to you. Also, if you want to fish in the Buffalo area at all you are welcome to crash at my apartment, as long as you aren't allergic/bothered by dogs.
Hi AJ !!

Ok thancks a lot for the invitation !! Is there good rivers in Buffalo area ?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked1 View Post
Hey Ben,

I live and fish in and around the SR.I could list a bunch of dives,and a bunch of lodges.It all depends on what you are looking for.My choice would be The Victorian in Altmar.Nice B and B.Been in it a bunch of times and is well maintained.Owned and Operated by Bob and Cindy Lockwood @ 845-279-4299.The resident guide is Walt Geryk.Mostly spey but does a lot of single fly.You can check out his site @ Fly & Spey Fish New York & Massachusetts: Steelhead, Trout and Salmon Fishing Guides.
Good Luck and yet me know what you think.
Scott
Hi Scott, I send you a PM. Always good have locals informations ! Thancks
Old 07-30-2012, 02:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

There are some good steelhead waters within an hour of where I live, as well as trout water. Plus there's some good beer

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-30-2012, 04:50 PM

hooked1 will become famous soon enough

Plenty of beer houses in all of upstate,west to east.I dare say I have had most and some that are not even around any more.

Got to love the Micro Brews
Scott
Old 07-30-2012, 05:05 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked1 View Post
Plenty of beer houses in all of upstate,west to east.I dare say I have had most and some that are not even around any more.

Got to love the Micro Brews
Scott
You're right guys !! a good beer after fishing, is just the best !!!

Local beer of Bosnia during my fishing trip this year

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:40 PM

Ben, no matter where in NY you end up, I'm sure that we as a forum will make sure it's a good time! I'm going to be hitting the streams hard(er) this year and learning as much as I can about steelheading, so hopefully if you're over my way or I meet you somewhere in NY we can catch some fish! Worst comes to worst I can translate the weirder words? Figure that 7 years of French in school better amount to something...

Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 AM

Sure AJ !! I met lot of goods fishermen in the french fly fishing forum !

For the moment, I don't know if I'll come this year or next one.... but I'll start tying some flies !!

There are a lot of differents patterns for fall fishing on the Ontario Tribs. Can you guys make a short list of essentiels flies ? ( I thinck eggs patterns, egg sucking leech, and others wooly bugger ?)

I saw this website OTTER'S Soft Milking Egg® realistic milking egg patterns for fly tying, fly fishing, for cold water fish species, including steelhead, salmon, and trout.

and I thinck buy some plastics eggs, but I don't know the size and colors for november (depend on the salmon's eggs on the river ). Have you guys trying this softmilkegg ?

Thancks !
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM

thethirstytrout is on a distinguished road

Hey there,

Whittaker's is a pretty nice establishment, if I recall correctly, its attached to a nice shop and is right in the middle of town.

I did see that someone mentioned Brenda's. A really good place if you're looking to just fish (there isn't much to do there other than fish). Unless prices have gone up, I remember it being $20/night during salmon season last year. If you still need a guide, shoot me a PM. I have some buddies that guide up in the Catskills, and I'm sure they can recommend a good guide in the SR.

Hope this helps,

TY
Old 09-13-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethirstytrout View Post
Hey there,

Whittaker's is a pretty nice establishment, if I recall correctly, its attached to a nice shop and is right in the middle of town.

I did see that someone mentioned Brenda's. A really good place if you're looking to just fish (there isn't much to do there other than fish). Unless prices have gone up, I remember it being $20/night during salmon season last year. If you still need a guide, shoot me a PM. I have some buddies that guide up in the Catskills, and I'm sure they can recommend a good guide in the SR.

Hope this helps,

TY
TY PM sent !!

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

About the rod; for steelhead in november, is it better a 10' 7 wt or 10' 8 wt ? I thinck for dead drift indicator fishing (eggs)