Salmon River trip this fall

ben664

Reaction score
Hi !! I'm looking for a small week trip this fall (come from France) and I first think about the SR !!

There are a lot of lodges and inns. Anyone better than others with a resonable price ?

I'm new in Steelhead fishing, and I will need a fly fishing guide. You guys know a good one ? And last question, november is very crowded ?

Thancks

wt bash

Reaction score

ben664

Reaction score
I don't know much about hotels in that area but I would consider fishing the Douglaston Salmon Run. Have a look they might even be able to set you up with well just about everything, Douglaston Salmon Run, World-Class Salmon Fishing << Douglaston Salmon Run northeast Salmon fishing Steelhead Coho Bass fishing upstate NY >>. Hope that helps, its a bit exspensive but its your best bet for avoiding the circus up there.
Thancks wt bash !! Yes I saw the DSR. It's expensive you're right....but they own the only private piece of the river ?

Maybe on smallers rivers it's better ?

wt bash

Reaction score
There used to be a few escape creeks along the coast but those little secrets have been found out. Its actually not that bad in terms of crowds, its at its worst during the salmon runs but once the cold starts to really settle in the crowds drop off. You can always find some water to yourself. If you hire a guide they can put you on less crowded sections. The reason I reccomended the DSR is that you don't have to fish in a mess, no trash, its taken care of and angler etiquette is somewhat upheld, plus its nearly all fresh fish in from the lake.

stoneyclove

Reaction score
Hi Ben,

You don't have to be a guest to fish the DSR. You can stay at lodgings off site and pay a fee each day to fish there. I believe it's $45 per person per day. If your coming from France it's well worth it. Lodging prices vary depending on what your looking for. You will find very reasonable pricing if you look. November is a great time on the DSR and the crowds are gone.

DSR lodging prices are ok if you have a large group, but for 1 or 2 anglers it's just to much.

I always stay at Brenda's motel when I'm there. It runs about $50 per night per person. It's not the Ritz but it's fine for me.
I believe it has changed hands this spring but it is being kept the same....at least that's what I've been told. It's close to the river, though you will need a car up there. Pulaski is a great fishing town with plenty of fly shops and restaurants. Well worth the trip. Wading there can be tricky, so make sure you have plenty of studs on your wading boots.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

If you PM me I can recommend a good guide for you.

ben664

Reaction score
Ben, let me know when you're going to headed to the area, I live pretty close to the Salmon River (a few hours) and maybe I can meet you out there for a day or two, or even put you on some other water in the area.
Hi AJ !!

Really ? cool !! I hope coming this year, if not it will be next year. I'll come from Syracuse airport, and rent a car from there. I will let you know for sure.

ben664

Reaction score
Hi guys !

Searching for a good fishing lodge in the area; I found :

Doble eagle lodge (Look good place, but no e mail, and no rates)

Schoolhouse Inn (no pictures of rooms, $40/night)

Confort Zone B and B (look realy nice with wood houses)

Fox Hollow (no rates no pics of rooms)

Whitacker lodge ($54 /night)

Anyone have experience of theses lodges ? Sure I forgot others....

Thancks

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Ben, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the lodges in the Salmon River area, but I will ask my friend when I get back to Buffalo soon and get back to you. Also, if you want to fish in the Buffalo area at all you are welcome to crash at my apartment, as long as you aren't allergic/bothered by dogs.

hooked1

Reaction score
Hey Ben,

I live and fish in and around the SR.I could list a bunch of dives,and a bunch of lodges.It all depends on what you are looking for.My choice would be The Victorian in Altmar.Nice B and B.Been in it a bunch of times and is well maintained.Owned and Operated by Bob and Cindy Lockwood @ 845-279-4299.The resident guide is Walt Geryk.Mostly spey but does a lot of single fly.You can check out his site @ Fly & Spey Fish New York & Massachusetts: Steelhead, Trout and Salmon Fishing Guides.
Good Luck and yet me know what you think.
Scott

Reactions: Ard

ben664

Reaction score
Ben, unfortunately I don't have any experience with the lodges in the Salmon River area, but I will ask my friend when I get back to Buffalo soon and get back to you. Also, if you want to fish in the Buffalo area at all you are welcome to crash at my apartment, as long as you aren't allergic/bothered by dogs.
Hi AJ !!

Ok thancks a lot for the invitation !! Is there good rivers in Buffalo area ?

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

Hey Ben,

I live and fish in and around the SR.I could list a bunch of dives,and a bunch of lodges.It all depends on what you are looking for.My choice would be The Victorian in Altmar.Nice B and B.Been in it a bunch of times and is well maintained.Owned and Operated by Bob and Cindy Lockwood @ 845-279-4299.The resident guide is Walt Geryk.Mostly spey but does a lot of single fly.You can check out his site @ Fly & Spey Fish New York & Massachusetts: Steelhead, Trout and Salmon Fishing Guides.
Good Luck and yet me know what you think.
Scott
Hi Scott, I send you a PM. Always good have locals informations ! Thancks

hooked1

Reaction score
Plenty of beer houses in all of upstate,west to east.I dare say I have had most and some that are not even around any more.

Got to love the Micro Brews
Scott

ben664

Reaction score
Plenty of beer houses in all of upstate,west to east.I dare say I have had most and some that are not even around any more.

Got to love the Micro Brews
Scott
You're right guys !! a good beer after fishing, is just the best !!!

Local beer of Bosnia during my fishing trip this year

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Ben, no matter where in NY you end up, I'm sure that we as a forum will make sure it's a good time! I'm going to be hitting the streams hard(er) this year and learning as much as I can about steelheading, so hopefully if you're over my way or I meet you somewhere in NY we can catch some fish! Worst comes to worst I can translate the weirder words? :D Figure that 7 years of French in school better amount to something...

ben664

Reaction score
Sure AJ !! I met lot of goods fishermen in the french fly fishing forum !

For the moment, I don't know if I'll come this year or next one.... but I'll start tying some flies !!

There are a lot of differents patterns for fall fishing on the Ontario Tribs. Can you guys make a short list of essentiels flies ? ( I thinck eggs patterns, egg sucking leech, and others wooly bugger ?)

I saw this website OTTER'S Soft Milking Egg® realistic milking egg patterns for fly tying, fly fishing, for cold water fish species, including steelhead, salmon, and trout.

and I thinck buy some plastics eggs, but I don't know the size and colors for november (depend on the salmon's eggs on the river ). Have you guys trying this softmilkegg ?

Thancks !

thethirstytrout

Reaction score
Hey there,

Whittaker's is a pretty nice establishment, if I recall correctly, its attached to a nice shop and is right in the middle of town.

I did see that someone mentioned Brenda's. A really good place if you're looking to just fish (there isn't much to do there other than fish). Unless prices have gone up, I remember it being $20/night during salmon season last year. If you still need a guide, shoot me a PM. I have some buddies that guide up in the Catskills, and I'm sure they can recommend a good guide in the SR.

Hope this helps,

TY

ben664

Reaction score
Hey there,

Whittaker's is a pretty nice establishment, if I recall correctly, its attached to a nice shop and is right in the middle of town.

I did see that someone mentioned Brenda's. A really good place if you're looking to just fish (there isn't much to do there other than fish). Unless prices have gone up, I remember it being $20/night during salmon season last year. If you still need a guide, shoot me a PM. I have some buddies that guide up in the Catskills, and I'm sure they can recommend a good guide in the SR.

Hope this helps,

TY
TY PM sent !!

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

About the rod; for steelhead in november, is it better a 10' 7 wt or 10' 8 wt ? :confused: I thinck for dead drift indicator fishing (eggs)