The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2012, 01:25 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice
Default Salmon River trip this fall

Hi !! I'm looking for a small week trip this fall (come from France) and I first think about the SR !!

There are a lot of lodges and inns. Anyone better than others with a resonable price ?

I'm new in Steelhead fishing, and I will need a fly fishing guide. You guys know a good one ? And last question, november is very crowded ?

Thancks
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Salmon River trip this fall

I don't know much about hotels in that area but I would consider fishing the Douglaston Salmon Run. Have a look they might even be able to set you up with well just about everything, Douglaston Salmon Run, World-Class Salmon Fishing << Douglaston Salmon Run northeast Salmon fishing Steelhead Coho Bass fishing upstate NY >>. Hope that helps, its a bit exspensive but its your best bet for avoiding the circus up there.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 PM

ben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really niceben664 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I don't know much about hotels in that area but I would consider fishing the Douglaston Salmon Run. Have a look they might even be able to set you up with well just about everything, Douglaston Salmon Run, World-Class Salmon Fishing << Douglaston Salmon Run northeast Salmon fishing Steelhead Coho Bass fishing upstate NY >>. Hope that helps, its a bit exspensive but its your best bet for avoiding the circus up there.
Thancks wt bash !! Yes I saw the DSR. It's expensive you're right....but they own the only private piece of the river ?

Maybe on smallers rivers it's better ?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

There used to be a few escape creeks along the coast but those little secrets have been found out. Its actually not that bad in terms of crowds, its at its worst during the salmon runs but once the cold starts to really settle in the crowds drop off. You can always find some water to yourself. If you hire a guide they can put you on less crowded sections. The reason I reccomended the DSR is that you don't have to fish in a mess, no trash, its taken care of and angler etiquette is somewhat upheld, plus its nearly all fresh fish in from the lake.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough

Hi Ben,

You don't have to be a guest to fish the DSR. You can stay at lodgings off site and pay a fee each day to fish there. I believe it's $45 per person per day. If your coming from France it's well worth it. Lodging prices vary depending on what your looking for. You will find very reasonable pricing if you look. November is a great time on the DSR and the crowds are gone.

DSR lodging prices are ok if you have a large group, but for 1 or 2 anglers it's just to much.

I always stay at Brenda's motel when I'm there. It runs about $50 per night per person. It's not the Ritz but it's fine for me.
I believe it has changed hands this spring but it is being kept the same....at least that's what I've been told. It's close to the river, though you will need a car up there. Pulaski is a great fishing town with plenty of fly shops and restaurants. Well worth the trip. Wading there can be tricky, so make sure you have plenty of studs on your wading boots.

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 AM ----------

If you PM me I can recommend a good guide for you.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Thancks Stoneyclove !!

PM

Snow fall is commun in November ?
Old 07-19-2012, 12:30 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Ben, let me know when you're going to headed to the area, I live pretty close to the Salmon River (a few hours) and maybe I can meet you out there for a day or two, or even put you on some other water in the area.
ben664 likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 07-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben664 View Post
Snow fall is commun in November ?
Who knows, with the weird weather patterns we've been having its anybody's guess.
ben664 likes this.
Old 07-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Ben, let me know when you're going to headed to the area, I live pretty close to the Salmon River (a few hours) and maybe I can meet you out there for a day or two, or even put you on some other water in the area.
Hi AJ !!

Really ? cool !! I hope coming this year, if not it will be next year. I'll come from Syracuse airport, and rent a car from there. I will let you know for sure.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 AM

Hi guys !

Searching for a good fishing lodge in the area; I found :

Doble eagle lodge (Look good place, but no e mail, and no rates)

Schoolhouse Inn (no pictures of rooms, $40/night)

Confort Zone B and B (look realy nice with wood houses)

Fox Hollow (no rates no pics of rooms)

Whitacker lodge ($54 /night)

Anyone have experience of theses lodges ? Sure I forgot others....

Thancks