The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 08:24 AM

yspaik is on a distinguished road
Default Columbus, OH - What are some great places to wade fish

Hey guys,

I'm heading up to Columbus, OH to visit a friend this weekend and we were thinking of trying to get some fly fishing in. He recently moved there, so doesn't know of any good places or access points to wade and fly fish.

Any insight on good places to fish and access points to wade would be incredible and greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 09:38 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default Re: Columbus, OH - What are some great places to wade fish

If you are looking for trout, your best bet is the Mad River near Dayton. You can also check out the Clear Fork of the Mohican, but that water may be running a little warm right now given the temps we have had recently. Both spots are a little over an hour away from Columbus and both have good public access.
Give Mad River Outfitters a call for conditions and specific areas to fish.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM

pmccarthy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Columbus, OH - What are some great places to wade fish

The Big Darby is good for SM. I've usually fished it up around Plain City, but there is good access near I-70 at Prairie Oaks Metro Park and further south around Trapper Johns. If I'm not mistaken, there is a access map on the ODNR website (been a while since I've looked). Also the Scioto River, below O'Shaugnessy dam or Griggs dam. Again for SM. The Mad is really the only option for trout, but if your in Cinci you probably know that already!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Oops, just noticed I'm about 10 days late with my reply. Hope your friend can still use the info.