The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM

jonathan9367 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing trip near cincinnati

So my dad and I are looking to do a weekend trip somewhere within a three hour drive of cincinnati with a good variety of fishing. I will be fly fishing with 7 wt 2x, he will be bait casting. Any good ideas?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:58 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing trip near cincinnati

When will you be doing this trip? Based solely on the weight of you rod, your best bet will be either bass or (preferably, in my opinion) steelhead, but the steelhead won't be in for a while. The steelhead would run you a little further in distance as well, but are definitely worth it. I know there are some people on this forum that are from around the Cincy area so they could definitely give you some ideas, but my fall-back in that area was always the Falls of the Ohio on the Ky-Ind border near Louisville, KY. This is rather popular destination, the only reason why I'm posting it in the open forum rather than PMing it. Depending on the time of year, this spot can yield hybrid stripers, bass, gar, carp, sauger, panfish, catfish, freshwater drum/sheepshead, even paddlefish.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM

jonathan9367 is on a distinguished road

Also let me say we are looking for some type of lodging as well
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM

mysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to allmysticm is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan9367 View Post
So my dad and I are looking to do a weekend trip somewhere within a three hour drive of cincinnati with a good variety of fishing. I will be fly fishing with 7 wt 2x, he will be bait casting. Any good ideas?

With that 7 wt, you are severely over gunned for any of the trouts that reside in the streams near Cincinnati. Within your prescribed range of 3 hrs, the Elkhorn Creek in Ky would be a great one to fish with your dad.