The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Christmas come early...

incredible fish!
thanks for sharing
(yeah, i'm jealous s well)

casey
pryal74 likes this.

ARFE
Old 12-10-2012, 03:52 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

We're having summer up here this year compared to some years.
12-10-1977: Digging Out : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

And today it's: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...tField2=-86.83
pryal74 likes this.

Last edited by rockriver; 12-10-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:41 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

Thanks everyone! It took a lighter clown egg pattern I tie. I only use natural colors. Most fly tyers use yellow, but I rarely use anything too loud. Mostly, pinks, creams, oranges etc etc. I had originally she was a snag, until she slowly started to move out into the heavy current. I then thought she was an old king still in the river. I saw the square tail and thought, "There's no way that's a Brown Trout... it's too damn big." I am glad I was incorrect. I had to go through some scary rapids and water half way up my back, but it was well worth it. I will try and get all the photos and HD video into some kind of compilation on our youtube channel.

@ DiverDan... you don't have any good moving water by you?

@Rockriver... yep this gimongous female is still alive and swimming in the same river I caught her as far as I know.
rockriver likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on a fish of a lifetime James! What an absolute pig of a fish! I'm sure that catching it on your own fly made makes it that much better of an experience--if that's possible. What a fish!
pryal74 likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:21 PM

popperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to allpopperfly is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
We're having summer up here this year compared to some years.
12-10-1977: Digging Out : News : UpperMichigansSource.com

And today it's: NOAA National Weather Service

James, Nice Fish!!!

rockriver, I definitely remember the 12/10/1977 dig out snow storm; we were stuck at the cabin for several days because they couldn’t clear the roads. Good times for us snowmobiling!!!
pryal74 likes this.

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM

fichy will become famous soon enough

Awesome fish! Congrats on the successful c and r. The natural colors do seem to work on pressured and larger fish, thanks for sharing that. Again, AWESOME.

Charlie
Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Wow! What a fish. You wonder how many eggs a fish that size would have to eat, they must be a food source the fish really enjoy.
pryal74 likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 12-16-2012, 05:35 PM

@pszy22... There are several species that spawn in the fall. Eggs are a huge staple in lake-run fish's diets. I prefer natural colors, although that may not make all that much difference.

Once again, thanks to everyone. I appreciate the positive comments.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:30 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the huge fish!

Any idea of its length or weight?

Dave
pryal74 likes this.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 PM

@ Dave... it's a possible Upper Peninsula of Michigan Record... especially on the fly. It measured 31" long. It weighs around 30 pounds. It was over 9 inches tall from belly to back. It also had an incredible girth over feet long.

I'm not sure if there is any way to tell for sure. I am waiting for a return email from our DNR. Either way... I could care less. I was happy enough to just be privileged enough to fight and land this monster. We took some HD footage of it.