The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   Fly shop (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/308590-fly-shop.html)

rockriver 01-21-2013 10:10 AM

Fly shop

Does anyone know if there are any fly shops in Michigan's U.P.?

pryal74 01-21-2013 10:50 AM

Re: Fly shop

Yes there is one right past Iron Mountain by the Menominee River. Northwoods Outfitters. They have a good selection of flies and fly tying material. I go there often. The owner is a stand up guy and very friendly.

The next closest place is Tight Lines in Depere, Wi. If you haven't been there, I would suggest checking it out. Great store. Tim will take care of you.

williamhj 01-21-2013 12:51 PM

Depending on where you are in the UP, We Tie It fly shop is Boulder Junction, WI is only about 25 miles from the border. Nice, helpful folks.

klunker 01-21-2013 09:00 PM

Another close to the UP is in north western Wisconsin. Hayward Fly Fishing Company. They specialize in fly fishing for muskies.

Wisconsin Fly Fishing Shop | Musky, Pike, Panfish & Smallmouth Bass Flies | Fly Fishing Gear Store | Hayward Wisconsin

Not many fly shops in the UP, its the price you pay for living in Paradise!!

rockriver 01-22-2013 10:30 AM

Appriciate the info.

dean_mt 01-22-2013 11:11 AM

Sounds like enough space for a enterprising person to start up a little shop somewhere in the middle of the da great UP! Escanaba, maybe?

rockriver 01-22-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 518912)
Sounds like enough space for a enterprising person to start up a little shop somewhere in the middle of the da great UP! Escanaba, maybe?

There was one, it folded. I have no idea why since they still offer a guide service. I imagine that there just isn't enough business to support a fly shop up here.

dean_mt 01-22-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockriver (Post 518995)
There was one, it folded. I have no idea why since they still offer a guide service. I imagine that there just isn't enough business to support a fly shop up here.

In this day and age of finding "deals" online for the big ticket items a small shop can't sell enough floatant and leaders and flies to keep up. Sad.

rockriver 01-22-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dean_mt (Post 519006)
In this day and age of finding "deals" online for the big ticket items a small shop can't sell enough floatant and leaders and flies to keep up. Sad.

Your right on that. I'd love to see a good shop up here; but, it isn't going to happen.

pryal74 01-23-2013 02:47 PM

I won't mention any names, but the guy that had one up here is a joke. Very unprofessional, has no fly fishing know-how.

I might have something in the works with someone, but I'll know more in the next few weeks.

It would be nice to have a REAL fly shop right in town. Although, I don't mind going to Depere or Iron Mt.

@ Rockriver... are you looking for flies?