The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rockriver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default salmon fishing near steelhead alley (Michigan or NY)

I started fishing steelhead a couple years ago and can safely say I am completely addicted. But, feeling those big strong fish on the end of the line got me thinking about salmon. I have never caught a salmon. I plan to change that this fall...I just need some help to find the right river.

I live in Columbus, Ohio so I realize that I am in for a significant drive to any river that has a decent salmon run. But, I would like to find a "home" salmon river within about a five or six hour drive I can visit a couple times a year without having to burn too much vacation time. I think that gets me all the way to Buffalo NY or to about the Pere Marquette River at Baldwin Michigan...and everywhere in between (although I am not aware of any respectable salmon fishing in PA or OH).

So, what do you guys recommend? In addition to reasonable drive time, I want a river I can wade and camping is a plus. Feel free to PM me with your closely guarded secret spots!...I am too far away to be much of a nuisance.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: salmon fishing near steelhead alley (Michigan or NY)

You're right on in terms of your options for salmon. MI or NY. You'd have to hit Ontario to get into Salmon so maybe a little further than Buffalo. How far I'm not exactly sure. I know where I'd go if I were in Columbus. Really, the same place as where I'd go coming from Pittsburgh. Subtle hint: 70W to 75N Unless you're taking back roads of course.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Hint. Google
pryal74 likes this.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM

stonewolf is on a distinguished road

I know i spend a lil time up there ... well i say a lil my wife says alot lol i still say not enough during the run lol

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Hint. Google
Thanks for the tip. At first I thought you were just telling me to search google myself. I was getting ready to lay into you when i saw that your link was a search. Looks like I am headed to michigan this fall. Looking forward to it! I'll be sure to post some pics.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
Thanks for the tip. At first I thought you were just telling me to search google myself. I was getting ready to lay into you when i saw that your link was a search. Looks like I am headed to michigan this fall. Looking forward to it! I'll be sure to post some pics.
You won't be disapointed in Michigan.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:21 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Any major river in the northern half of the west side of Michigan.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:57 AM

jph is on a distinguished road

I'm about an hour north of you in Leington and have been researching the same thing. Stumbled across a Niagra River site and think I may have to go there
Old 03-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph View Post
I'm about an hour north of you in Leington and have been researching the same thing. Stumbled across a Niagra River site and think I may have to go there
I looked at the lower niagra river but from what I can tell it is very big, deep, fast, and not a river that can be waded at any point. One of the things i like most about fly fishing is being able to stand out in the water and see the fish. Have you found any place on the main river or its tributaries that can be waded?