The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   New here from Michigan's U.P. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/316820-new-here-michigans-u-p.html)

bp green 04-16-2013 08:07 PM

New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Hi everyone. I have lived in Sault Ste. Marie for over 4 years now. Moved here from Maine. Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

Now that I'm here, I mostly fish the St. Mary's Rapids on the Ontario side of the international bridge for steelies and salmon because it's readily available; but my favorite fishing is for brookies on dries with cane.

This year, as best as I can, I'm planning on exploring what the Canadian side has to offer west and north of here.

Thanks,

George

shotgunfly 04-16-2013 09:35 PM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Hi george, I think I replied to your other post? Nevertheless, welcome and I'm sure someone will chime in soon with some info particular to your area.

C

rockriver 04-17-2013 09:07 AM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Welcome to the U.P. Where did you live in Maine? I lived in Caribou a few years back.

flyfishmich 04-17-2013 09:14 AM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Hi, welcome...

You left Maine for the Soo???
I went to LSSU 20 years ago. I have never fished up there but I hear the brookies are great. Walleye and Smallies and pike are fantastic in the algoma region.

jpbfly 04-17-2013 12:29 PM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
:welcomean George...looking forward to seeing your pics and reports;)

bp green 04-17-2013 05:00 PM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Thank you all. :)

I lived in Jackman. A tiny, rural town just 16 miles from the border with Quebec. I loved it and have some very good friends there still, but unfortunately it was just too rural and isolated for my wife and daughter.

flyfishmich 04-18-2013 07:38 AM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bp green (Post 547893)
Thank you all. :)

I lived in Jackman. A tiny, rural town just 16 miles from the border with Quebec. I loved it and have some very good friends there still, but unfortunately it was just too rural and isolated for my wife and daughter.

Sault, Check out the Lock View inn and restaurant. right across the Locks visitor center On Fridays they have all you can eat fish and fries. Prepped anyway you like it. Not sure if antlers is still there but just "interesting" atmosphere. Clyde's drive in is without a doubt a great cheese burger. Try the BIG C.

Try an extended weekend with the family
-Mackinac Island/City-just have to do it once
-Harbor Springs-Tom's Mom's Cookies. Oh maaaaaaann.
-Petosky-Papa Lou's Pizza
Traverse City-cool stuff and a big city for you to see. Lake MI is amazing. And that North west corner of Lower Northern MI is where some of the best fly fishing you can be around-lots of pressure but once you find a spot stick with it.

AMAZING small mouth fishing in Grand Traverse Bay. Cast at a big rock and slow strip right next to it-the Smallies take care of the rest.

UP stuff
The Teqxxxxxxxxx Falls
Paradise
Painted Rocks National shoreline

Stay out of Dafter

Check out the Lumberjack Festival. I have never been but hear its a great time. I think its in Brimley in the fall

bp green 04-18-2013 07:57 AM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyfishmich (Post 548034)
Sault, Check out the Lock View inn and restaurant. right across the Locks visitor center On Fridays they have all you can eat fish and fries. Prepped anyway you like it. Not sure if antlers is still there but just "interesting" atmosphere. Clyde's drive in is without a doubt a great cheese burger. Try the BIG C.

Try an extended weekend with the family
-Mackinac Island/City-just have to do it once
-Harbor Springs-Tom's Mom's Cookies. Oh maaaaaaann.
-Petosky-Papa Lou's Pizza
Traverse City-cool stuff and a big city for you to see. Lake MI is amazing. And that North west corner of Lower Northern MI is where some of the best fly fishing you can be around-lots of pressure but once you find a spot stick with it.

AMAZING small mouth fishing in Grand Traverse Bay. Cast at a big rock and slow strip right next to it-the Smallies take care of the rest.

UP stuff
The Teqxxxxxxxxx Falls
Paradise
Painted Rocks National shoreline

Stay out of Dafter

Check out the Lumberjack Festival. I have never been but hear its a great time. I think its in Brimley in the fall


Lol... I think I may have given off the wrong impression guys. I have been living in the UP for over four years. I am quite familiar with the area. ;)

It's the water on the Candian side I am looking to get to know. I have heard many rumors about the Algoma region, almost all of it contradictory. Huge brook trout, tiny brook trout. All private water, all open. Fished out, untouched and teeming with fish, etc.

I have fished the St. Mary's Rapids underneath the international Bridge on the Ontario side extensively. It is an awesome salmon and steelhead fishery, but now I want to go beyond and see if I can find the kind of fishing I had in Maine. Good sized, native brook trout in secluded, wild flowing streams and rivers. :thmbup:

By the way flyfishMich, Antler's is still there and open. Albeit under different management. ;)

flyfishmich 04-18-2013 08:44 PM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bp green (Post 548040)
Lol... I think I may have given off the wrong impression guys. I have been living in the UP for over four years. I am quite familiar with the area. ;)

It's the water on the Candian side I am looking to get to know. I have heard many rumors about the Algoma region, almost all of it contradictory. Huge brook trout, tiny brook trout. All private water, all open. Fished out, untouched and teeming with fish, etc.

I have fished the St. Mary's Rapids underneath the international Bridge on the Ontario side extensively. It is an awesome salmon and steelhead fishery, but now I want to go beyond and see if I can find the kind of fishing I had in Maine. Good sized, native brook trout in secluded, wild flowing streams and rivers. :thmbup:

By the way flyfishMich, Antler's is still there and open. Albeit under different management. ;)

yeah something about a divorce at antlers or something like that.


and still stay out of Dafter

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Ranger Lake in Ontario is full of Lunker sized Lake Trout and Pike. My Gramps had a rustic cabin on it but the family let it go after he died. Bummer. I think its about 45-50 miles from the Sault. There is a fly in camp there too. That's all the info I have of that place.

Liphookedau 04-19-2013 06:47 AM

Re: New here from Michigan's U.P.
 
Hi George.
From The Land Down under Welcome to The Forum.
Brian


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.