The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mysticm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default Drift-less South WI

So i am heading to the driftless area and wondering whats working up there. I am looking for any intel on flies or hatches??? Len?? May the gods of brown help me??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all
Default Re: Drift-less South WI

The Driftless Angler in Viroqua has daily updates on hatches and what's working.

Also, don't be alarmed. They're only listing fishing as "poor" currently because the WI trout season is closed the week before the official opener this Saturday.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:23 AM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Haven't fished there yet myself, it's my understanding you should have pink squirrel fly in your box. If you don't tie, you should be able to buy them at local fly shops.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:42 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Like the other poster said...call Mat at the Driftless Anglers. I have yet to come across a fly shop owner like Mat who is so willing and accommodating to visiting anglers. They will even share their secret spots if you ask nicely.
Its a one stop shop for all things DRIFTLESS.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:18 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Better yet, make it a point to go in and see Mat and pick up some of his bugs. They've proven their worth to me time and time again. No matter how much I've prepared, I always find my way to the shop for some bugs.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

When are you going to be coming up, smallie? That will largely determine what I can tell you about the hatches. If it's soon you should think black caddis. They've started to show up over the last week or so, along with dark hendricksons and BWO's.

Scuds, PT's, Hares ears, Caddis Pupae and Copper Johns are all flies that will work right now. This is an easy time of year to catch trout, because there are so many flies that will work well. Pack plenty of black caddis, adams, and BWO dry fly patterns. Streamer patterns of all kinds will work too, if that's your thing.

Last edited by ted4887; 05-01-2013 at 10:55 PM.