The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM

harry2110 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fly Fishing Near Indianapolis

I have found that the starkey branch is mostly only good in the spring for stripers according to the guides that work at wildcat creek outfitters.

Now currently I have been out of town for the summer but will be back soon and have been researching further spots to fish when I return.

Williams creek near 75th seems to hold a bunch of forage for fish and quite a few smallies. Last time I waded I ended up scaring off about 10-15 during my exploration trip.

As an update on the Monon center it seems that most fish have gone deep in the ponds are arent easily catch able but the bluegills have gone nuts and will almost strike a bare hook.

There is also a new park off towne and 96th called west park that looks promising for bass as it contains nice cover and forage. It was too windy to fish due last time I was there to confirm this.

I have also been fishing riverside park at 29th and the white river across from the boat ramp. It holds good numbers of both bass and bluegills and seems to have little to no fishing pressure but really only have the pond is fishable with a fly rod. Last time I was there I caught about 15 bluegills and 2 small largemouths. Its not the best fishing but considering its only 4-5 miles outside of downtown thats not bad.

Honestly if your on the north side I would recommend sugar creek or Ive heard fall creek tailwaters is good as well.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

I've hit West Park in Carmel quite a few times, location is a little farther north though, 116th and Shelbourne. There is quite a bit of cover and I've caught some decent largemouth there, but it's not quite ideal for fly casting. There's a boardwalk surrounding the pond with relatively high wood railings. Lots of foot traffic too.
I'll have to check out the spot on the White near 75th, is that in the Yacht club area?
Old 08-12-2014, 09:30 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

I've only been out twice locally in the past month. I did make it out to MT to visit my brother in-law for a few days fishing, and it was fantastic.

I went to Eagle Creek Reservoir in my boat at the end of June. My brother in-law and I fished about 5 hours, hitting most of the banks. We had zero luck, but met a nice gentleman that lives on the water. He gave us some pointers for next time (and gave me one of his "go-to" flies).

Last Saturday, I made it to the White right about sundown for an hour or so. There were two other vehicles parked, but I never saw anyone. Anyway, I was dead-drifting a Sneaky Pete in chart/black along the banks where I've had success in the past. I worked up river without any strikes. As I was making my way back to the truck, I finally got one to eat. It was a nice smallie (~18"+) that demolished the fly, and put on an air show while coming to hand. He was holding close to the rocky bank behind some downed trees. I called it good after that and left.

I'm headed to MI this weekend for a vacation, and hope to get into some more smallies on the lake where we are staying. I will probably take my waders and 5 weight for some small stream trout action as well. Last time up there trout fishing, I was skunked, so hopefully I will get that stank off.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 PM

indianayakfish is on a distinguished road

I'm new to the forums and fly fishing, but if you're in the Indy area definitely be sure to stop by Wildcat Creek Outfitters in Zionsville. Good fly shop and the guys there are great. I'm up here closer to Fort Wayne but if I was in the Indy area I definitely would want to fish Sugar Creek. I hear a lot of great things about that river, but I imagine it gets hit pretty hard too.

http://indianayakfish.com/

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianayakfish View Post
I'm new to the forums and fly fishing, but if you're in the Indy area definitely be sure to stop by Wildcat Creek Outfitters in Zionsville. Good fly shop and the guys there are great. I'm up here closer to Fort Wayne but if I was in the Indy area I definitely would want to fish Sugar Creek. I hear a lot of great things about that river, but I imagine it gets hit pretty hard too.
Welcome aboard, fellow Hoosier. WCO is an awesome shop. I enjoy goung in there from time to time. I actually picked up my waders and boots from them last winter, and they were cheaper than I could find online. I always make sure to stop by when I'm in Zoonsville.

Sugar Creek, I've never been, but plan on making it out there this summer. It is managed as a "blue ribbon smallie river," and I've heard great things.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 AM

harry2110 is on a distinguished road

I had fished sugar creek in the beginning of july and can confirm even under less than ideal conditions it is really good water to try. There were 6 of us in the group and most caught atleast 3-4 nice smallies on the outing with orvis.

I am returning to town this weekend and will be at sugar sunday and the white saturday guiding a friend and will report back what i find. I also hope to be on fall creek next tuesday and maybe starkey branch on thursday.

I like wco myself as well as the guys are willing to help beginners and not force them into their classes like the other shop on the east side. Now there one guy at the east side shop that is helpful but i think the owner is kinda judgemental that i didnt take his 150 course and rather taught myself and seems to care more about profits and saltwater guys with deep pockets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianayakfish View Post
Welcome! Think we've actually met before at Wildcat, month or so back at the tournament. I was extremely sunburnt individual at the table sitting with you and a couple of the other guys on the WCO team.
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

indianayakfish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishers_fisherman View Post
Welcome! Think we've actually met before at Wildcat, month or so back at the tournament. I was extremely sunburnt individual at the table sitting with you and a couple of the other guys on the WCO team.
While I am on the WCO Kayak Fishing Team this year, you're probably thinking of the other team member from up this way, Kyle H. Younger, skinny guy? I couldn't make the WCO tournament as I was out of state that weekend. I heard it was a great time, both the tournament and the event at the store that day.

http://indianayakfish.com/

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.” –Henry David Thoreau