The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By captainjack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 AM

captainjack is on a distinguished road
Default Tips on fishing Clouser Minnows

I'm looking to get into more smallmouth fishing this year and looking for a little advice on how to fish the clouser (size 2-6) and similar patterns. Would anyone recommend using a sink tip line vs a floating? I'm fishing rivers mainly 3-5 feet deep here in Wisconsin. I'm already looking into a full sinking line for lake smallies but would like to hear from anyone who has experience with river smallies and the best way to fish these flies. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
pryal74 likes this.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:29 AM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tips on fishing Clouser Minnows

Clousers aren't a pattern that I fish for smallies often, but it is undeniably very effective. When I do fish them, I like to cast downstream and across to the opposite bank. Cast to rocky banks and undercuts, and start stripping. 4-6" strips with a short pause in between. I find that they'll take on the pause about 8 times out of 10.

If I'm fishing clousers on our shallow rivers, I don't usually feel that we need full sink lines. It wouldn't hurt to keep one handy though, because there are always opportunities to use them. I fish a sink line about 75% of the time, but I tend to fish a lot of unweighted and buoyant articulated flies.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

If it's only 3 to 5 feet deep, you technically don't need a sinking tip line or a sinking line if the current isn't heavy. I use quite a few streamer patterns. I will put up some links to a few that I prefer. Also, do you tie? If so... try these. They aren't that elaborate or difficult. If that water isn't moving and the weather is warmer, think top water. Deer hair frogs and deer hair mice popped on top will bring some explosive strikes.

Keep the tail at least 3/4 of an inch past the bend of the hook. This will give it better action.
Trout Streamer Pattern, the Little Rascal

Epoxy on some eyes on this fly also.
Gary Borger Ľ Bullhead Sculpin #4

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:40 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I haven't found one magic way to fish a clouser - I have found several of them.

If one retrieve isn't working, try another.

Some days they like a quick strip, strip, pause...strip strip pause...

Other days they want a slow and steady retrieve. Other days you can drag them on the bottom real slow...it just depends on the day