The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 08:41 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: need advice: michigan trip in fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Wow, there's a blast from the past. Glen opened that shop in Rockford must be going on 20 years now! Is it still right of the interstate at 10 Mile Rd was it? I used to watch his T.V. show in Michigan.

I'm actually heading back next week to visit my folks, I don't know if I'll have much time to fish, but I think I'll pack a rod and my vest just in case. I might be venture up North to take my wife to Sleeping Bear and the Boardman isn't too far...
Just west of the E-Way on Algoma Ave, about a block north of 10 Mile.

Dan

---------- Post added at 09:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I thought I was seeing things!

I had to check the date on the original post and then the reply from Huron River Dan!

Talk about a blast from the past! Dan was one of our finest contributors until he faded away. Seeing the post is pretty cool Dan, welcome back buddy.

Ard
Still here Ard, check in occasionally; been busy working and fishing and seeing the grandchildren...

Dan
Old 07-08-2013, 12:43 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

I don't know about you personally, but I do not enjoy sitting in a boat fishing a hole for hours then driving to the next one. It's not an incredibly common thing, but more than likely it will happen with a guide down there. I would suggest finding a well known river during the run and making a hike downstream or upstream from that destination. I fished there (downstate, we call the lower peninsula) last fall. It was an incredible time. We hit a few of the major rivers near the Traverse City area. We walked a half mile or less from all the major crossings or well-known access spots are saw few people. Most times, we had many runs, holes and even wide stretches all to ourselves... not to mention all those huge Chinooks! Anyway, it's just a suggestion. No matter what you choose, I wish you luck!
rockriver likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:24 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I can't give you details on all the possible rivers, but on my home river, the Muskegon, I'd plan on the first week of Oct if you want to catch salmon, the 1st or 2nd week of Nov for Steelhead. There will be both Salmon and Steelhead in the river for that whole period, I think it's easier to key in on steel once the salmon thin out.

If you plan on fishing salmon, to be honest, you don't need a guide or a boat. there are miles of river and there is no difficulty in finding fish. If you plan on fishing steelhead, might not be a bad idea to go with a guide, there are miles of river.

---------- Post added at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Wow, there's a blast from the past. Glen opened that shop in Rockford must be going on 20 years now! Is it still right of the interstate at 10 Mile Rd was it? I used to watch his T.V. show in Michigan.
They moved their shop from the original location several years ago, It's only a couple of blocks, but it's now west of the x-way, it used to be just east.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo