The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 10:57 AM

smedberry is on a distinguished road
Default need advice: michigan trip in fall

i am planning a michigan trip this fall, want to stay in lower MI. i have heard Pere Marquette, Muskegon, Manistee rivers are promising. would like to be less than 2 hrs from Grand Rapids. i have owned fly takle for 20 yrs, but this would be first wading/stream trip. We're flexible and can go anytime Oct-Nov-Dec. i know this is a broad question, but i'm open to advice as to where and when would be best. i own fly rods from 4wt to 9wt (yeah, i'm a tackle-junkie!). planning on one day with a guide wherever we go. thanks in advance for any help....
Old 06-21-2013, 01:49 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: need advice: michigan trip in fall

If you're planning a wading trip I would recommend fishing the PM. Fall depending on when will see Salmon, Steelhead, and Browns running the river. If you're looking at fishing with a guide hit the Manistee or the Muskegon and plan on fishing from a boat.

Dan
Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Check out the Baldwin area. I used to live in GRap and cut my teeth fly fishing up there. Michigan used to have a trout season but I don't remember when the streams closed, but I'm October is still safe. PM should be fishing as Huron Dan said, look into the Little Manistee also, beautiful-gorgeous-great little wading river. I also like the Pine as well, fast and cold!
Old 06-23-2013, 07:10 AM

smedberry is on a distinguished road

thanks for your fast replies!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Check out the Baldwin area. I used to live in GRap and cut my teeth fly fishing up there. Michigan used to have a trout season but I don't remember when the streams closed, but I'm October is still safe. PM should be fishing as Huron Dan said, look into the Little Manistee also, beautiful-gorgeous-great little wading river. I also like the Pine as well, fast and cold!
Pine is closed in October as far as I know as is the Baldwin.

Dan
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 PM

mcsteff is on a distinguished road

Most inland trout streams close September 30 in Michigan. The PM, Manistee and AuSable are open year round with differing regs re keeping trout, salmon, et. al. with numbers and sizes. The guides at Gates on the AuSable are good. Sam Surre is excellent for the AuSable and Manistee watersheds. Glen Blackwood and his shop in Rockford are outstanding (Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company - Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co. ). It is a beautiful time of the year to fish in Michigan.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:13 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

All great advice here, that is for sure, but I would also suggest that you look into the Wellston area as well (Schmitt Outfitters in Wellston), this is just north of Baldwin by about an hour drive or so. Good luck and have fun, its a great area, especially in the fall (Sept-Oct-Nov.).

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 06-29-2013, 11:27 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsteff View Post
Most inland trout streams close September 30 in Michigan. The PM, Manistee and AuSable are open year round with differing regs re keeping trout, salmon, et. al. with numbers and sizes. The guides at Gates on the AuSable are good. Sam Surre is excellent for the AuSable and Manistee watersheds. Glen Blackwood and his shop in Rockford are outstanding (Great Lakes Fly Fishing Company - Great Lakes Fly Fishing Co. ). It is a beautiful time of the year to fish in Michigan.
Wow, there's a blast from the past. Glen opened that shop in Rockford must be going on 20 years now! Is it still right of the interstate at 10 Mile Rd was it? I used to watch his T.V. show in Michigan.

I'm actually heading back next week to visit my folks, I don't know if I'll have much time to fish, but I think I'll pack a rod and my vest just in case. I might be venture up North to take my wife to Sleeping Bear and the Boardman isn't too far...
williamhj likes this.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Is it still right of the interstate at 10 Mile Rd was it?
Yup, just West of 131. Enjoy your trip!
Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I thought I was seeing things!

I had to check the date on the original post and then the reply from Huron River Dan!

Talk about a blast from the past! Dan was one of our finest contributors until he faded away. Seeing the post is pretty cool Dan, welcome back buddy.

Ard
HuronRiverDan likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;