The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyfisher for men
  • 1 Post By williamhj
  • 2 Post By rusty 54
  • 1 Post By williamhj

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all
Default Hitting Michigan's Huron River!

I'l be up there in a couple of weeks and will likely take a day to coax a smallie or two. It's a species I don't have around here.

What a nifty little semi-urban stream!
double d likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:25 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hitting Michigan's Huron River!

Where will you be? I've fished it a bunch when I lived in Ann Arbor. If you don't know where to hit it shoot me a pm. Enjoy! Michigan is a great state (four out of five great lakes agree)
double d likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

Lots of access from Dexter through Ann Arbor. Stop in at Colton Bay Outfitters or Schultz's for info. It is a very pretty urban river.
williamhj and double d like this.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:57 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

I'll be in Pinckney, and so the locations will be probably be around Portage Lake and the nearby metroparks.

I fished it a couple years ago (Off Bell road if memory serves.)

I'm actually from the area, but grew up mostly in Kansas.

Rusty54 and Williamhj will know what I mean when I say I'll be attending a family reunion in Hell while I'm there. I've been to Hell and back several times (and a damsite near it, too).
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to Hell and back too, almost bought the t-shirt Enjoy! Rusty nailed it. If I was hitting the Huron for smallies I'd go between Dexter and A2, start at Delhi park and if it's busy go up or down stream from there. Pretty wadeable, nice smallies willing to take a wooly bugger, popper, or dry. A bit south of where you'll be but not too far. I haven't fished it up near Pinkney, know there are a bunch of lakes etc though I'm sure there are wadeable stretches. Have fished it above Dexter some and there are fish but hasn't struck me as fun as Dexter-Ann Arbor stretch. Enjoy!
Flyfisher for men likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM

Thanks, William. A little adventure might be in order. I have only fished one location on it.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM

grtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to allgrtlksmarlin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
I'll be in Pinckney, and so the locations will be probably be around Portage Lake and the nearby metroparks.......
Actually you can fish the chain of lakes on the Huron for SMB with naturally late night being the best time (though it does require a boat, LMB during the day from shore). Also consider the Gregory State Game Area 'East' (Duck Lake & waters around), and Pinckney Rec. lakes. I'm roughly 3 miles from Pinckney over in Lakeland.

B.E.Fleenor

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.