The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

I guess it comes down to if Marty has his heart set on buying a new rod, he has a good enough excuse. If he'd prefer not to buy a new rod, he shouldn't stay home, the rod he has will probably be good enough to catch at least a few fish.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

I appreciate all the responses. I am definitely buying a new rod - and it looks like I will be shopping for a 9wt. I have found that in married life you must sieze the opportunity to buy new toys when you have a good excuse. I have also found that it helps to calm the wife if I act somewhat disgusted or annoyed that I "have to" spend the money on a new rod/reel. Stupid hobby....
fishers_fisherman likes this.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:14 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

In that case, the 7 weight is totally inadequate and won't work. As a matter of fact, if you try to fish with it anywhere within the state of Michigan you will be arrested and persecuted to the full extent of the law!

Have fun with the new rod,

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo