The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/325646-rod-weight-recommendation-michigan-salmon.html)

marty mcfly 07-20-2013 09:16 AM

Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

I am getting geared up for my fall salmon fishing trip to Michigan. I am going to have to buy a new rod and reel, as a 7 weight is the heaviest rod in my current arsenal. I was leaning toward buying a 9 weight in the 9 or 10 foot range. I was hoping for some local intel and opinions about whether this is the right choice. I am not a spey guy.

rockriver 07-20-2013 05:57 PM

Re: Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

What river are you planning on hitting?

marty mcfly 07-20-2013 06:53 PM

the pere marquette and the manistee.

captainjack 07-20-2013 08:45 PM

I can't speak to the rivers in Michigan, but I do fish the salmon runs in NE Wisconsin and I can't imagine the salmon are any bigger or tougher on the Michigan side. I've always done just fine on a 9 foot 8 weight for them.

fredaevans 07-20-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjack (Post 574423)
I can't speak to the rivers in Michigan, but I do fish the salmon runs in NE Wisconsin and I can't imagine the salmon are any bigger or tougher on the Michigan side. I've always done just fine on a 9 foot 8 weight for them.

No local knowledge, but a "+1" to the above. You can handle a hell of a fish on an 8wt rod.

fae

chi flyfisher 07-21-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainjack (Post 574423)

I fish two 8 weights in Wisconsin and Michigan for salmon - a 890-4 Sage XP and an 8100-4 Loomis GLX Native Run paired with an Abel 3N. While both are effective for WI Kings, I felt under gunned in MI. In my opinion, the Kings are generally larger and stronger on the MI side of the lake. I bought a 990-4 Sage One for this year, paired with an Abel Super 9. Can I land fish in MI with the 8 wt? Yes, and I have. But why use an 8 weight when the 9 is - to me - the better tool for the job? Some of the guides use 10 weights in MI and I've used their rods. But I'm not blind casting a 10 all day.

If you plan of fishing the PM, get the 9 weight. You will not regret having the extra power and lifting power to pull those Salmon out of current.

Cheers,
Mike

pryal74 07-21-2013 10:27 PM

I use a 7 weight, but it's a 10 foot. The ten foot gives you better control on your drift and better feel overall. I would suggest an 8 or 9 weight, but try to get a 10 foot rod, which will be much harder to find, but well worth it.

double d 07-21-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty mcfly (Post 574248)
I am getting geared up for my fall salmon fishing trip to Michigan. I am going to have to buy a new rod and reel, as a 7 weight is the heaviest rod in my current arsenal. I was leaning toward buying a 9 weight in the 9 or 10 foot range. I was hoping for some local intel and opinions about whether this is the right choice. I am not a spey guy.

Good luck to you, that is a great location, I fish in the same areas as you-I use a 9'0" rod and 8 wt reel (Orvis rig for both) when in N.W.Mich. fishing for salmon.

pszy22 07-23-2013 09:54 AM

I will say that catching Michigan salmon on a 7 wt rod is very doable. Some may argue it's not ideal, maybe so, but it certainly is doable.

joshw 07-23-2013 10:15 AM

A 9 or 10wt would be ideal.The fish this year seem to be running a little larger on average than the past few years. It seems like there are a lot of mid-twenty pound fish around already being taken by charters with some in the upper 20's and low 30's. That is more fish than I would want to mess with on a 7wt especially if they are fresh chromers. I use a 10 wt gl3 for salmon and it has worked and held up well for the last 13 years.