The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 AM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road
Default Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

I am getting geared up for my fall salmon fishing trip to Michigan. I am going to have to buy a new rod and reel, as a 7 weight is the heaviest rod in my current arsenal. I was leaning toward buying a 9 weight in the 9 or 10 foot range. I was hoping for some local intel and opinions about whether this is the right choice. I am not a spey guy.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:57 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Rod weight recommendation for michigan salmon

What river are you planning on hitting?
Old 07-20-2013, 06:53 PM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

the pere marquette and the manistee.
double d likes this.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:45 PM

captainjack is on a distinguished road

I can't speak to the rivers in Michigan, but I do fish the salmon runs in NE Wisconsin and I can't imagine the salmon are any bigger or tougher on the Michigan side. I've always done just fine on a 9 foot 8 weight for them.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:54 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
I can't speak to the rivers in Michigan, but I do fish the salmon runs in NE Wisconsin and I can't imagine the salmon are any bigger or tougher on the Michigan side. I've always done just fine on a 9 foot 8 weight for them.
No local knowledge, but a "+1" to the above. You can handle a hell of a fish on an 8wt rod.

fae
Old 07-21-2013, 07:37 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack View Post
I fish two 8 weights in Wisconsin and Michigan for salmon - a 890-4 Sage XP and an 8100-4 Loomis GLX Native Run paired with an Abel 3N. While both are effective for WI Kings, I felt under gunned in MI. In my opinion, the Kings are generally larger and stronger on the MI side of the lake. I bought a 990-4 Sage One for this year, paired with an Abel Super 9. Can I land fish in MI with the 8 wt? Yes, and I have. But why use an 8 weight when the 9 is - to me - the better tool for the job? Some of the guides use 10 weights in MI and I've used their rods. But I'm not blind casting a 10 all day.

If you plan of fishing the PM, get the 9 weight. You will not regret having the extra power and lifting power to pull those Salmon out of current.

Cheers,
Mike
troutchops, jaybo41 and double d like this.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:27 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

I use a 7 weight, but it's a 10 foot. The ten foot gives you better control on your drift and better feel overall. I would suggest an 8 or 9 weight, but try to get a 10 foot rod, which will be much harder to find, but well worth it.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:52 PM

double d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty mcfly View Post
I am getting geared up for my fall salmon fishing trip to Michigan. I am going to have to buy a new rod and reel, as a 7 weight is the heaviest rod in my current arsenal. I was leaning toward buying a 9 weight in the 9 or 10 foot range. I was hoping for some local intel and opinions about whether this is the right choice. I am not a spey guy.
Good luck to you, that is a great location, I fish in the same areas as you-I use a 9'0" rod and 8 wt reel (Orvis rig for both) when in N.W.Mich. fishing for salmon.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 07-23-2013, 09:54 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I will say that catching Michigan salmon on a 7 wt rod is very doable. Some may argue it's not ideal, maybe so, but it certainly is doable.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM

joshw is on a distinguished road

A 9 or 10wt would be ideal.The fish this year seem to be running a little larger on average than the past few years. It seems like there are a lot of mid-twenty pound fish around already being taken by charters with some in the upper 20's and low 30's. That is more fish than I would want to mess with on a 7wt especially if they are fresh chromers. I use a 10 wt gl3 for salmon and it has worked and held up well for the last 13 years.
chi flyfisher likes this.