The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about
Default Smallmouth Bass Summer 2012 a few MONSTERS in this one

Another Smallmouth Bass video from our summer in 2013 in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Featuring James Pryal & Kevin Olsick and Jon Droska. This footage was filmed on the same river, over 3 days on different stretches. We don't film much, but were able to capture a few gorgeous slabs on camera.

I hope you enjoy and feel free to comment, like or share.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:27 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Smallmouth Bass Summer 2012 a few MONSTERS in this one

Some beautiful fish. SMB are often passed over up here for some reason.
pryal74 likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM

dakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura aboutdakotakid has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a bunch of fun!
pryal74 likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Looks like you guys had a blast
pryal74 likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:16 AM

double d is on a distinguished road

Great film, great location for fly fishing up in the U.P.
pryal74 likes this.

"It is ourselves that we conquer, not the mountain." Sir Edmund Hillary, 1959
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those Smallies were absolute SLOBS! Wow you guys were getting some gorgeous fish. Looks like you were using a lot of topwaters. What was the bushy green fly you had so many on ? Just curious cause here big deer hair muddlers and mouse patterns are great as well as yellow poppers and Gurglers never tried anything green.
pryal74 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 AM

pryal74 has a spectacular aura aboutpryal74 has a spectacular aura about

First of all, thanks everyone.

@ Rock, thanks man. I think smallmouth bass are one the most exciting warm water species to target with a fly. How was your season? Hey rock, what area of the U.P. are you near?

@ double d, thank you. I try to explore as much as I can. There's so much water in the U.P. I sometimes think I will never cover enough!

@ Eddie O'Neill, Thanks man. I hope you're getting out on the water as well!

@ dakotakid, Thanks much!

@ theboz, Thank you! Yes, I use topwater flies when the water is warm enough. If the fish seems sluggish I use an olive sculpin pattern, which works incredibly well. The green bushy fly was a top water frog I designed myself. 2 green rabbit strips for legs and then stacked bucktail for the body. Pretty simple actually. I prefer darker colors for topwater. Do you get to target smallies much where you are?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:09 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

@ Rock, thanks man. I think smallmouth bass are one the most exciting warm water species to target with a fly. How was your season? Hey rock, what area of the U.P. are you near?

Close to Au Train on the shores of Lake Superior.
pryal74 likes this.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pryal74 View Post
First of all, thanks everyone.

@ double d, thank you. I try to explore as much as I can. There's so much water in the U.P. I sometimes think I will never cover enough!

@ Eddie O'Neill, Thanks man. I hope you're getting out on the water as well!

@ dakotakid, Thanks much!

@ theboz, Thank you! Yes, I use topwater flies when the water is warm enough. If the fish seems sluggish I use an olive sculpin pattern, which works incredibly well. The green bushy fly was a top water frog I designed myself. 2 green rabbit strips for legs and then stacked bucktail for the body. Pretty simple actually. I prefer darker colors for topwater. Do you get to target smallies much where you are?
Yes I usually target them at least twice a week here in the Delaware and as often as possible in the Susky! In the Delaware yellow and light brown seems to be the ticket for topwaters and red and pink along with an assortment of streamers and nymphs for subsurface.Found out by accident about the red and pink when targeting Shad and kept on getting Smallies(definately not a bad thing!).Thats why Iwas curious about your green topwater especially seeing all the fish it produced. One thing I truley believe when it comes to topwater and Smallmouth fishing is color is very important and it depends on the river.Another river that I target them in is the Wallkill in NY and if the topwater isnt black you are not catching bass!Cant explain the topwater color thing for topwaters but it seems to be very important for SMBs at least where I fish.And when all else fails a Muddler will usually save the day! Thank you for the pattern maybe green will be one of my new go tos!
pryal74 likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 PM

kwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to allkwb is a name known to all

Those aren't monsters! Those are the things Monsters have nightmares about!

Nice fish man!
pryal74 and theboz like this.