The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 PM

chicagojohn will become famous soon enoughchicagojohn will become famous soon enough
Default White River Indianapolis

Anyone have recommendations for stream access and favorite smallmouth flies on the White River around Indy? How is the White River south of downtown?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:59 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: White River Indianapolis

There are several decent points of access good for wading, mainly on the north side of town and north of the city. I wouldn't mess with anything inside the 465 loop around town. Here are a few of my favorites: 1. Mounds St. Park in Anderson (20 min north east of Indy off I-69)*** #1 recommendation**, there is a charge at the gate though; 2. 146th St and Allisonville road behind Remmer's auto repair (go in through their gate and park in the back-there is a sign for parking); 3. right behind a shopping complex off of 82nd st near Keystone ave by the big green bridge-can park in the lot by Rheis Nichols jewelry store and walk down; 4. White River campgrounds and Strawtown park (look at the Hamilton County, IN parks website Hamilton County, Indiana / Parks and Recreation for addresses etc.
I've had luck with Clouser's, and poppers over the summer. Give the guys at Wildcat Creek Outfitters a shout too to see what they'd recommend, they do a lot of local guiding (Wildcat Creek Outfitters Flyfishing Outfitter and Guide Service), same with Flymasters of Indy (FlyMasters of Indianapolis). Feel free to PM me and I can give you my number in case you get down and need some directions.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:37 AM

pjcalla is on a distinguished road

I have been fishing the White for a few weekends now. I've had luck at the 146th street bridge (Renner's Body Shop) and there is a park at essentially 106th and Hazel Dell, Hazel Landing. I've seen more fishermen at Hazel Landing, but I've only ever seen two trucks at the 146th bridge (never saw anyone fishing).

Sneaky Pete's in chartreuse seems to be the ticket, at least last Sunday. Caught 4 smallies in about an hour (2 @ 20'+ and 2 @ 16"-18"). There is an Orvis shop in Carmel (146th and 31 in Clay Terrace Mall, ~5 minutes west of the 146th St. access), if you need any flies. Supposedly, there is a fly called the Sexy Stone that has been killer for smallies, but they were sold out last weekend (getting more today or tomorrow).

You can pm me as well, if you need directions or a fishing buddy out there. I try to get out in the early mornings on the weekend. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:29 AM

airwhipper is on a distinguished road

I've got friends in and around Indy. Hearing these reports makes me think I should visit them next spring. A plan is forming.