The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 3 Post By jaybo41
  • 1 Post By Hardyreels
  • 1 Post By Liphookedau

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 11:21 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough
Default Tube Flies for GL's Steelhead

Hey all
Steelheader on the Canadian side of the Great Lakes. I am noticing over the past few years, an increase in spey fishers on the various tribs. While once I was pretty much alone fly casting (single hand nymphing), more and more 2 handers are out.

I too am sharing my steel-time bouncing between spey techniques (switch rod) and single handing (nymph).

I am wondering, how many of you along the GL's are using tube flies? I am thinking of getting into tying tubes (tie all manner of flies BUT tubes already). What are your thoughts on tubes? Also, if you are a tube fly user/tyer, do you have patterns that you can share that you use with success?

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 09-30-2013, 01:40 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tube Flies for GL's Steelhead

Hey King Joe,

Like you had mentioned, I'm more familiar with single hand rods and nymphing techniques but have over the past few years gotten into two handed rods.

I don't have specific patterns that I can point you to, especially since we're fishing on different sides of one of the big ponds and maybe even a different pond all together but...

I would suggest that any streamer that you tie on a shank, be it with a trailer or with a regular hook, you can do with a tube. I've been dabbling with this and am still experimenting. You can do buggers, emerald shiners, intruders, sculpins etc. Just use similar colors as you would the "traditional" pattern and you should be set. If you like more traditional salmon/spey style flies, don't be afraid to try them on a tube also. One thing about tubes that I seem to hang onto is that I'm less concerned with following the recipe to exact proportions as I am when doing them on traditional shanks. Now I'm not sure if this is just a mental note I've made to myself or if this is typical of the tube fly community. I guess my message here is go freestyle more so than ever with tubes! If you have the chance to take a class on tying on tubes in your area, by all means give it a go.

What I like about them is you can change hooks out easily, the flies generally last through many more battles, and getting them out without destroying the fly is pretty easy.

You may need to add weight to it by using a weighted tube, cone, eyes, etc to counterbalance the plastic tube. Sometimes this plays into your advantage if you don't want it to directly hit the bottom. You can of course also use T- line or ploys/MOW tips too.

Not sure what materials you have on hand but you may need to add some depending on the fly you're tying. You will also want to add an adapter to your vise to mount and tie the tubes on. These adaptors can be tricky, sometimes the ones you want are based on the type of tube you are using, or at least so I've found thus far.
king joe likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jason,

You should post some pictures of the flies you are tying, I believe they go beyond 'dabbling'.

King Joe,

I had a few of Jason's tube flies and the biggest difficulty I experienced was keeping fish off of the hooks!

Ard
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2013, 04:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the kind words Ard, that means a lot coming from such a skilled tier. I promise more are in the works and will be making the trek to the tundra but I can't tell you exactly when just yet. Thanks for being patient, I believe it will be worthwhile because in the mean time, I'm getting ideas and more experience

Sorry, this will be pic heavy.

Here are some that I've done.

This is a Nine Three meets tube intruder. Notice it doesn't specifically follow the original recipe, but the colors are there.

Click the image to open in full size.

A few more, these ones were either sent out for others to fish or have yet to be tried on GL tribs but I suspect they'd get some grabs.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great Stuff Jason!
jaybo41 likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-30-2013, 05:35 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jason.
Really beaut Flies I only wish I could Tie them nearly half as good.
Brian
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:48 PM

Thanks for the kind words Brian and Ard, much appreciated. I'll have to work up a tutorial this winter if not sooner. All depends on how the fishing is, it's big fish season for me I have been meaning to do this for a while but...you guys know how it is.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:04 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Hey King Joe,

Like you had mentioned, I'm more familiar with single hand rods and nymphing techniques but have over the past few years gotten into two handed rods.

I don't have specific patterns that I can point you to, especially since we're fishing on different sides of one of the big ponds and maybe even a different pond all together but...

I would suggest that any streamer that you tie on a shank, be it with a trailer or with a regular hook, you can do with a tube. I've been dabbling with this and am still experimenting. You can do buggers, emerald shiners, intruders, sculpins etc. Just use similar colors as you would the "traditional" pattern and you should be set. If you like more traditional salmon/spey style flies, don't be afraid to try them on a tube also. One thing about tubes that I seem to hang onto is that I'm less concerned with following the recipe to exact proportions as I am when doing them on traditional shanks. Now I'm not sure if this is just a mental note I've made to myself or if this is typical of the tube fly community. I guess my message here is go freestyle more so than ever with tubes! If you have the chance to take a class on tying on tubes in your area, by all means give it a go.

What I like about them is you can change hooks out easily, the flies generally last through many more battles, and getting them out without destroying the fly is pretty easy.

You may need to add weight to it by using a weighted tube, cone, eyes, etc to counterbalance the plastic tube. Sometimes this plays into your advantage if you don't want it to directly hit the bottom. You can of course also use T- line or ploys/MOW tips too.

Not sure what materials you have on hand but you may need to add some depending on the fly you're tying. You will also want to add an adapter to your vise to mount and tie the tubes on. These adaptors can be tricky, sometimes the ones you want are based on the type of tube you are using, or at least so I've found thus far.
Hey, thanks Jay
I suspected as much (re: good for the shank, good for the tube). Gonna bite the bullet and pick up the mandrel pack starter and selection of tubes. I have a few patterns I will start with and go from there.

Quick follow up question....do you often use a small section of flex tube to 'seat' the hook to the tube when fishing? I have watched a pile of vids and read a bit...and for the most part, this junction tubing is used.

Again, thanks for the response.

King Joe Outa Here!
Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king joe View Post
Hey, thanks Jay
I suspected as much (re: good for the shank, good for the tube). Gonna bite the bullet and pick up the mandrel pack starter and selection of tubes. I have a few patterns I will start with and go from there.

Quick follow up question....do you often use a small section of flex tube to 'seat' the hook to the tube when fishing? I have watched a pile of vids and read a bit...and for the most part, this junction tubing is used.

Again, thanks for the response.

King Joe Outa Here!
Hey King Joe,

I sometimes use the junction tubing, it depends on which tube though. I would have a look at the Pro Tubes, they basically have it built into the tube and there are even add ons if you like. When I tie on HMH copper tubes, yes I add junction tubing. I'm working though some Eumer Tubes right now and just use the larger tube as the junction tubing, the smaller one is inserted inside. HMH's tubes (non metal) have been a little soft in my experience, I prefer the Eumer's rigidity. I've started to switch over to Pro Tube though and they seem like a nice compromise between the two. Again, pay attention to which adapters work with which tubes. When in doubt, ask at your fly shop or call where you're ordering from.

Good luck and enjoy!