The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 04:14 PM

fire652 is on a distinguished road
Default New Member from Ohio

I grew up in the North East and now live in Zanesville, Ohio. About an hour east of columbus. I was wondering if anyone from this area nows of good day trips for fly fishing. I travel to Allegheny every now and then but miss being able to fish without to much planning. I prefer trout fishing but really up to anything. I hear the steelhead fishing is good in the northern part of the state. Am I out of luck though for trout in this state. Would I be better of going to west virginia and pennsylvania. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Member from Ohio

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Unfortunately yes, PA & VA are going to have more to offer for a trout enthusiast. Range of travel makes planning essential and with the change of seasons you will need good intel before setting out. Here the weather is the enemy and things are going the wrong way quickly now. Where you are at VA. may be the best bet.

We have a member 'shotgunfly' who lives over at Harrisonberg VA. and is pretty well tuned into the Spring creeks there. He may also be able to help with freestone options. Use the private message system to reach shotgun, just start a new message and as you type his user name into the box it will automatically pop up his correct address. Tell him Ard sent you

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Fire: Welcome to the forum! I can't help with your question but I'm sure others can offer assistance.

Larry
Hardyreels likes this.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:15 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Your not completely out of luck for trout but the pickings are slim. About 1 1/2 hour drive north of you The Clear Fork river upper and lower are both stocked with brown trout in October or November. The upper has more holdovers but less public access. The lower has a lot of access in the Mohican park but gets too warm in the summer. Also in that general area is a small public creek stocked by TU every year with browns and rainbow. They ask that you practice c&r since it is private money going to stock the creek.

The Mad River is about an 1 1/2 west of you also stocked by the state with browns. I've never fished it but by the reports they have better holdovers and more access but the scenery is not as nice.

For a day trip I'd prefer Mohican but I'm biased having grown up there. Plus I like to hit Amish country and Lehman's hardware store not to far from the other creek I mentioned.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fire....lots of helpful people here so you should get good infos.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I don't know if the OP is reading the thread but............. If you become a regular here you'll find out that we have a bunch of members who are relatively close to you and some of them know the steelhead game pretty well. I suggested that you were a regular because it's unlikely that anyone will be willing to divulge their best spots or strategies to a one time poster. They may but you might just find a fishing partner here too...........

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2013, 04:36 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum, enjoy
Old 10-18-2013, 11:19 PM

fire652 is on a distinguished road

I work night shift and currently full time in school so not much time to browse right now. I graduate in december so trying to get things in order to do some fishing come spring. Thanks for the info. I fished mohican once and it is a nice area, not to much success just rained and was washed out. Think I will probably got up there again when I get some time though

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 PM ----------

I have heard conflicting things on the steelhead. Is it true that they begin running right around now, but the best time to fish is in the spring? Thanks again
Old 10-19-2013, 11:30 AM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I'm just starting to get into steelhead myself, but from what I've researched Ohio has a pretty good run of fall steelhead starting with rivers towards Pennsylvania and making their way up more western rivers later in the fall and winter. And an excellent spring run. Check out the Ohio DNR site they have some great river maps of the primary steelhead rivers. Also check out steelhead alley outfitters facebook page. I'm actually heading up to Michigan late next week for a week long steelhead trip, my second up there. I'm hoping to get out a few times late this fall and winter to some of the western rivers, Vermillion and Rocky. Another good resource is the Ohio Game Fishing forum. They have a nice forum on steelhead and fly fishing just for Ohio and a lot of friendly people. Also Ohio DNR publishes a nice free book with info and maps on all of the Lake Erie tribs. You should be able to get it at a regional DNR office or your local park district.