The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By Hardyreels
  • 4 Post By ia_trouter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 07:53 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough
Default Alligator in central Indiana

Alligator found along I 69 early Saturday morning - 13 WTHR Indianapolis

Thinking I might have to start keeping something a little more heavy duty than the current pair of pliers in my vest when I go out. Apparently they found this guy no more than a couple miles from a couple ponds I frequent!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alligator in central Indiana

Pretty sad situation that people will get tired of a pet and just discard them out in the wild. I wouldn't think he would be able to survive the winter.

Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Being a conservationist I have opinions that may not be mainstream regarding what are known as exotic pets. In an age where we have a great deal of objection to government regulations over almost anything................ Some things simply need to be regulated and done so in a very tight fashion. If people who wanted to keep a Burmese Python (for instance) had to undergo the same sort of licensing and oversight as a Falconer does in order to keep a bird in the mew, there would be far less instance of this sort of displaced animal.

I know, we don't need more laws that intrude on individual rights and property ownership but you gotta look at the Pythons in The Everglades and wonder how that happened don't you? Myself, I've never wanted to keep what could be considered a harmful or dangerous specie as a pet, let alone one that could also be considered invasive.

If you want to own a giant Boa Constrictor or an Alligator, that's cool, just apply for your Federal Fish & Wildlife permit and pay the costs. That would no doubt raise a clamor with the 'pet sellers' but it would also cut way down on the number of people who take these creatures on as an impulse item only to find that they can not care for them as they inevitably get larger.

I could go on ad-nauseum but I'll stop at that

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-14-2013, 12:40 PM

ia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to beholdia_trouter is a splendid one to behold

Can we possibly throw in a requirement that you must be smarter than your pet, if it could be dangerous to others?
Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Whoever saw it first should have just shot it. If they get established, it'll be like the Lake Trout in Yellowstone, the Pike in Alaska, and the Burmese Python in Florida for starters. Gators are survivalists and if it's possible, they will survive.
Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Two young boys in my province were suffocated by a snake (python?) this summer when it escaped into the air ducts from the pet shop below the apartment they were sleeping in. Nobody should die by snake in Canada; bear or moose maybe, but not snake.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 AM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I've just never been able to understand the draw to keep a reptile large enough to consume you as a pet.
Interestingly enough, there was an update in the local paper this morning saying the alligator in question was most likely not a pet and had definitely never had any exposure to humans based on it's response to being handled at the rescue where it was taken. The handler there said his opinion/theory was that someone vacationing down south probably saw it crossing the road or something, grabbed it for a souvenier and then dumped it.

Really hoping his theory is correct. Gators have been on the planet quite a bit longer than we have, thinking they've learned a thing or two about adaptation to different environments over the last few million years. Gotta say I'm not crazy about the idea of them figuring out how to make it in the climate up here. The big carp than ran into my leg the other day almost made me soil my waders, pretty sure bumping into something like this would do the job all the way.