The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 08:36 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Great Lakes Steelhead

I don't have to go in January. I can't do December. But I could certainly wait until spring if that is when my best shot at steel is.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

In addition to what has been posted, I think expectations about catch rates for steelhead should tempered. I am not an expert in fishing the Great Lakes for steelhead, but I have had 4 years of experience. Sometimes you get shut out on a trip. Other times you may catch a handful. My most recent trip I caught a gorgeous chrome bullet. It made me appreciate the chase and the empty trips in prior years.
Good Luck!
mridenour likes this.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:03 PM

I'm fully prepared to not catch anything. That being said I also want to stack the odds in my favor by being in the right place at the right time
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I understand completely but.............................

Over the many years and all the careful planning I've had more Alberta Clippers and Lake Effect snows than I could count. Generally the weather is the biggest variable from January all the way through March 30

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhist_palm View Post
I guess also a good question would be, do you have to go in January? Late February and March are real good for spring runners and hold overs.

The palm is onto something here. Being that December is out, January being a **** shoot and the fall run upon us...I'd suggest February/March and look for spring runs. Think Ohio, MI and not sure about WI, but the palm can help you out with that

Also agree with troutn's post. Sometimes you get the royal skunk. What I would suggest doing if you can swing it is go out with a guide if you're going to a location you're not familiar with. You'll learn how to dial it in and learn about where to fish.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

I wouldn't recommend Wisconsin if the choice was anywhere Great Lakes

We are the ******* stepchild to Great Lakes steelhead

Oh wait that's illinois....

Hey I can say that, I'm from there!

Honestly he is right whether pa, oh, Ontario, or the U.P (not in that order) a guide might be good idea!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:28 PM

hooknhorn is on a distinguished road

If you can hold off til mid March, I would, especially if you come this way. Start watching the weather, flows & the mentioned websites in early February. March is a great time to be on the creek. April gets crazy around here with crowds. Black stones, prince nymphs, pheasant tails, egg patterns & STREAMERS. Or plan B ........come now
Old 11-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Sounds like a early spring trip with a guide is the way to do it.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:17 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I did get a guide on the Manistee for a day. It was worth the money. We then went on our own and even skipped over the Wisconsin and caught some chrome over there as well. Sounds like you have received a lot of good advice from the forum members!
Old 11-12-2013, 03:45 PM

rpm13 is on a distinguished road

I mainly fish the Lake Ontario tribs, some freeze up during Dec-March, but the Salmon River in NY is open all year, it's a dam release river, steelhead there from Sept -April...going in winter, think nymphs and small at that 10-16 and think staying warm, remember those lake effect snows/winds........good luck.
buddhist_palm likes this.