The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ejsell
  • 2 Post By king joe
  • 1 Post By pszy22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 12:04 PM

shotgunlew is on a distinguished road
Default First Fly Rod..

Hello Guys, I am new to the sport of fly fishing but I have been fishing my entire life. I am looking for some suggestions on a first fly rod. The species I will be targeting will be Smallies, Largemouth and Steelhead. I know these fish vary in size... So I was thinking a 8 weight 9 foot rod ( The Cabela's RLS that is currently on sale )...How would this be for a first rod?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM

fishers_fisherman will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Fly Rod..

Been looking at that one myself, all the reviews seem great but have never had the chance to cast one. If you have opportunity to do so you should probably try out a few different rods before purchasing, see what feels right in your hand. The Reddington Pursuit combo would be another one to look at, I've got it in a 6wt and have really enjoyed it.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:10 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I haven't used those rods but an 8wt. will be overkill on bass if you are looking for a good fight. I personally use a 5 wt. and 6 wt. for bass and carp and have an 8wt. for steelhead and salmon. A lot of steelhead alley guys use 6 and 7wt. rods for steelhead. When I got my 8 wt. I tried it out in my local river and didn't realize I had a smallie on until he went sailing by me on my back cast. Granted he was pretty small but even for a larger one there isn't much fight on my 8wt. Good luck and try them out first if you can.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM

king joe will become famous soon enough

Hey shotgunlew

I'm a Great Lakes fisher as well (Canada side) and started fishing all species here with a 9' 7wt...'cause that's how I roll (hah). I did use different lines for different species and/or fishing styles though.

I do have a range of rods/reels/lines now so am not stuck on 'A' rod. That said, for dumb bass..... 9' - 5, 6 or 7 wt (for casting bigger bugs, not because the fish are big).

For steels...I wield either my 10' 7 wt or 11' 7wt switch...and soon ('soon' being a relative comment)....I will add to my arsenal, my 13' 7wt/510-540gr Scandi spey which I am building.

Long story short....7wt is all you will need....over sized for bass....about right for the majority of great lake steel.

My 2 cents added.

King Joe Outa Here!
fredaevans and ejsell like this.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Tough choice since if your going for Steelhead, I think you'll eventually start after Salmon which make me think, if one rod is going to be it, I'd go for the 8 weight. It's on the heavy side for the bass fishing. Good luck.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:02 PM

jfaisten is on a distinguished road

If I was going to fish smallies and large mouth more often I think I'd go with a 7wt. If steelhead are the main target -- 8wt for me. I just got an 8wt and while I was in the market i looked on Craigslist and found a couple nice used rods. I'm not a big supporter of Craigslist but the couple guys I talked to were more than willing to let me cast the rod and share information. Might be a good alternative to Cabelas.
Good luck
Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

I personally think an 8 weight is a bit of overkill even for steelhead.

I think you'd be happier with a 7 wt, maybe even a 6 wt.

A couple things to ask yourself, where and for what are you going to be fishing for the most. Get a rod to match up with where you will be spending the majority of your time.

I think you are better off to get a rod that covers the majority of your fishing, and that may be slightly less than optimal for the occasional alternate trip.

One thing to remember, at least for me, it is much more pleasant to fish a lighter weight rod all day than it is to fish a heavier rod.
ejsell likes this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 11-22-2013, 08:54 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreement that an 8wt is probably 'over-kill' for any of the fish listed. The exception to that would be water driven. Big water/big current usually requires a bit heavier a rod.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:18 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

I think it really depends on the kind of water you're fishing for bass in... If it's heavily weeded and full of pads... 8wt will be perfect for casting frogs into thick cover that bass love