The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By itchmesir
  • 2 Post By sandfly
  • 1 Post By ejsell
  • 1 Post By mikel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM

repperson29 will become famous soon enoughrepperson29 will become famous soon enough
Default Wader question

Hi guys, I just joined up on the site and am new to fly fishing in general, I'm going to be fishing around erie mostly and was trying to decide what kind of waders to invest in. My problem is this, I'm going to want go steelheading in the fall/winter months but also fish throughout the warmer seasons as well. I can't spend an arm and a leg on two separate sets of waders right now. I was looking at neoprene waders or the nylon type waders. Which would be better for this region? Would I still be able to wear the neoprene in late spring creek hopping without losing 10 pounds? Or should I go with the nylons and in the winter just bulk up with thermals?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:30 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wader question

I'd look into breathable waders. You can always layer during the colder months. I've fished in sub zero conditions in breathable waders and with proper layering I've stayed comfortable...

I was gonna recommend the waders I wear... But it seems ll bean doesn't make them anymore =/
ejsell and repperson29 like this.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:02 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

just make sure when you buy the boots that you get a size larger than your foot size. the neoprene feet on breathable's take up a lot of room + your adding heavy socks and such. I still think Hodgeman can't be beat..
ejsell and repperson29 like this.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-08-2013, 07:59 AM

repperson29 will become famous soon enoughrepperson29 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
just make sure when you buy the boots that you get a size larger than your foot size. the neoprene feet on breathable's take up a lot of room + your adding heavy socks and such. I still think Hodgeman can't be beat..
Hodgman is actually having a sale right now so I'll look through their line, is it smarter to get boots already attached or separate? I think boots separate so you don't have to deal with more chances for leaks but maybe that's just me

Thanks for all the help guys
Old 12-08-2013, 08:38 AM

ejsell is on a distinguished road

My personal preference is breathable waders with separate wading boots. You can buy gravel guards for them and then wet wade with them in the summer when it's too hot for waders. I've used breathable down to about 10 degrees and was comfortable with 2 layers and a jacket and toe warmers. As posted above get a size bigger boot than you normally wear, that leaves plenty of room for the a thick wool sock and the neoprene foot of your waders or gravel guard.
repperson29 likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
Hodgman is actually having a sale right now so I'll look through their line, is it smarter to get boots already attached or separate? I think boots separate so you don't have to deal with more chances for leaks but maybe that's just me

Thanks for all the help guys
Clearly for comfort and fit most guys prefer stocking foot breathables with separate boots. Look at hodgeman as you please, but waders and boots are not the place to scrimp. At this point for waders I look at Orvis, Simms, Patagonia, Bailey and other best brands and search for deals on QUALITY waders with a solid warranty.

Fish wet and cold for a season or so because you wanted to save some $$$$ and are too dumb to admit it like I have and you'll be singing the same song...
repperson29 likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Clearly for comfort and fit most guys prefer stocking foot breathables with separate boots. Look at hodgeman as you please, but waders and boots are not the place to scrimp. At this point for waders I look at Orvis, Simms, Patagonia, Bailey and other best brands and search for deals on QUALITY waders with a solid warranty.

Fish wet and cold for a season or so because you wanted to save some $$$$ and are too dumb to admit it like I have and you'll be singing the same song...
I ended up getting cabelas dry plus premium waders and their wading boots. I had a 20$ and both items were on sale so I ended up spending 160$ total. I may be hard headed and pay for it now but maybe next year I can get one of the more well known brands I'm former military and still a young buck so I'm used to crappy conditions. As long as I'm not taking on water like the Edmund Fitzgerald I should be okay.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:45 AM

troutn will become famous soon enoughtroutn will become famous soon enough

Vandal waders are made by Simms. You will be happy with them.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:33 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by repperson29 View Post
I ended up getting cabelas dry plus premium waders and their wading boots. I had a 20$ and both items were on sale so I ended up spending 160$ total. I may be hard headed and pay for it now but maybe next year I can get one of the more well known brands I'm former military and still a young buck so I'm used to crappy conditions. As long as I'm not taking on water like the Edmund Fitzgerald I should be okay.
A good friend of mine up here swears by these. Money save on boots can go toward another bamboo rod is his idea. They will work just fine.