The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM

lake flyer will become famous soon enoughlake flyer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

I run into the guys from Chagrin River outfitters pretty frequently on the streams. I've never used their guide service but when I do see them, they always stop to talk and compare notes and flies. If you only have two or three days to fish, you might want to take into account that if we get a heavy rain it could take two to four days for the rivers in Ohio to become fishable again. If that happens then the Pennsylvania streams become an option as they are smaller and usually clear in a day or two. Pennsylvania won't have an overabundance of fish but it could save an otherwise washed out trip. I know the Salmon River in NY takes quite a lot of rain to become unfishable (dam controlled).
Old 01-03-2014, 07:33 PM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the feedback. I'm due to be in DC in Mid March for a week of work meetings. What I'll do is to monitor the weather and river condition for the week and head down to either Ohio or PA depending on the river condition. I'll certainly keep the 2 recommended guiding services in mind. I read in the news that you guys are getting quite a bit of snow and low temperature now. Hope everyone stay safe out there for the new year. Best Regards.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:18 AM

rpm13 is on a distinguished road

I fish the salmon river area a lot, March can be touch and go sometimes. In March the salmon river can be at flood stage and unfishable....check your weather reports and the flow rates for the salmon river....just google salmon river water flow.....If conditions are right the salmon river with drop-backs and fresh fish could be fantastic.....
Old 01-06-2014, 10:12 PM

SperryWater is on a distinguished road

If you need help finding access points to the Lake Erie tribs I'm in the process of plotting the public access points from the Ohio DNR maps onto Google maps (got tired of getting lost). Eventually, I will have all the PA and NY tribs mapped as well. I've also included the USGS flow charts for each river.

You can find the map on my site here.

Have fun!
ejsell likes this.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SperryWater View Post
If you need help finding access points to the Lake Erie tribs I'm in the process of plotting the public access points from the Ohio DNR maps onto Google maps (got tired of getting lost). Eventually, I will have all the PA and NY tribs mapped as well. I've also included the USGS flow charts for each river.

You can find the map on my site here.

Have fun!
Wow! Outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM

SperryWater is on a distinguished road

Glad you like it! I updated the map today with the Rocky, Grand and Vermilion river. I have a few more Ohio tribs to add and then will start on PA
Old 01-31-2014, 04:29 PM

Hi, Any advise what are the effects of the cold weather and heavy snow in the North-East for the last 2 months possibly has on the Steelhead fishing? Just wondering if this is likely to blow out the rivers when (or if) it gets warmer in March? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

They'll probably get blown out several times between now and march but most of them seem to drop within a few days and a lot of people like to hit them as they are dropping. I've been told if you fish them when they are blown out the fish will stack a couple of feet out from the bank and a lot of people have success targeting them.

Right now most of the rivers have pretty thick ice on them and when it breaks up it's going to be a mess for a few days. The last warm spell we had a few weeks ago caused massive ice jams.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsell View Post
They'll probably get blown out several times between now and march but most of them seem to drop within a few days and a lot of people like to hit them as they are dropping. I've been told if you fish them when they are blown out the fish will stack a couple of feet out from the bank and a lot of people have success targeting them.

Right now most of the rivers have pretty thick ice on them and when it breaks up it's going to be a mess for a few days. The last warm spell we had a few weeks ago caused massive ice jams.
Thanks. Let's hope the weather warms up a little between now to March!