The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes Region (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/)
-   -   March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/great-lakes-region/341393-march-steelhead-ohio-steelhead-alley-ny-salmon-river.html)

flycaster99 01-01-2014 01:35 AM

March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

Hi, I may have the opportunity to fish the great lakes area for 2-3 days in mid-March. Between Ohio's Steelhead Alley and NY's Salmon River, which location will provide a better chance on hooking up to a fresh chrome fish in March? Thanks in advance for the advise. Happy New Year!

Hardyreels 01-01-2014 04:10 AM

Re: March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

I haven't fished back there for 11 seasons but I also hate to see a post go with no replies so I'll give you the way it was.

March was always good for me, I always could catch more fish at the streams flowing into lake Erie, but I liked fishing the Salmon River better. Used to be there weren't a whole bunch of steelhead in the river and by March you just might end up alone there. I liked it because it was bigger water but it was fewer fish per day and sometimes none................. It may come down to what is closest to where you are going to be, the 2 places aren't exactly next to one another.

We have a member who fishes Erie tribs regular and when he spots this you'll get a real answer.

Ard

ghocevar 01-01-2014 10:19 AM

Lake Erie tribes will produce...I promise you that! it has been an average year here on Steelhead Alley but things always pick up in late February through April as that is when we get our big push.

ejsell 01-02-2014 12:16 PM

Check out Ohio DNR's website for steelhead river maps. They have the main rivers mapped out nicely with public access marked.

mridenour 01-02-2014 01:24 PM

We are planning on heading to Steelhead Alley in April. I was fortunate enough to get invited to go with a longtime friend that is good friends with a guide from Steelhead Alley Outfitters. They blew up my Facebook feed with pics of gorgeous chromes all fall. Anyway, they swear the fishing is awesome and the Steelhead are going to be there.

flycaster99 01-03-2014 02:30 AM

Thanks all for the advise!

Is Steelhead Alley Outfitters based in Cleveland? If not how far are they from Cleveland? Thanks.

fredaevans 01-03-2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghocevar (Post 626546)
Lake Erie tribes will produce...I promise you that! it has been an average year here on Steelhead Alley but things always pick up in late February through April as that is when we get our big push.

Interesting. Your Winter Run(s) match up with those on the upper Rogue River here in southern Oregon.

ejsell 01-03-2014 02:10 PM

I don't think Steelhead Alley Outfitters has a physical location. They have a great facebook page and website. I've never used them but have heard great things about them and have had very prompt replies from them the couple of times I've contacted them by phone and email. I was hoping, after dropping enough hints, my wife was going to get me an order of Senyo's steelhead flies for Christmas. Apparently my hints were ignored.

jaybo41 01-03-2014 04:08 PM

Chagrin River Outfitters is in Cleveland or there a bouts. I've heard good things about them.

ghocevar 01-03-2014 05:24 PM

March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 627245)
Interesting. Your Winter Run(s) match up with those on the upper Rogue River here in southern Oregon.

We have two different runs...One is fall/winter which are from PA stockings and the other in spring from Ohio stockings. I believe the Ohio stocking is the Manistee strain.

Chagrin River Outfitters are first class. I've gotten to know Dan and Peter pretty well over the years and they certainly go out of their way to get you on the fish.