The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road
Default March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

Hi, I may have the opportunity to fish the great lakes area for 2-3 days in mid-March. Between Ohio's Steelhead Alley and NY's Salmon River, which location will provide a better chance on hooking up to a fresh chrome fish in March? Thanks in advance for the advise. Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

I haven't fished back there for 11 seasons but I also hate to see a post go with no replies so I'll give you the way it was.

March was always good for me, I always could catch more fish at the streams flowing into lake Erie, but I liked fishing the Salmon River better. Used to be there weren't a whole bunch of steelhead in the river and by March you just might end up alone there. I liked it because it was bigger water but it was fewer fish per day and sometimes none................. It may come down to what is closest to where you are going to be, the 2 places aren't exactly next to one another.

We have a member who fishes Erie tribs regular and when he spots this you'll get a real answer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 AM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Lake Erie tribes will produce...I promise you that! it has been an average year here on Steelhead Alley but things always pick up in late February through April as that is when we get our big push.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:16 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Check out Ohio DNR's website for steelhead river maps. They have the main rivers mapped out nicely with public access marked.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 PM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

We are planning on heading to Steelhead Alley in April. I was fortunate enough to get invited to go with a longtime friend that is good friends with a guide from Steelhead Alley Outfitters. They blew up my Facebook feed with pics of gorgeous chromes all fall. Anyway, they swear the fishing is awesome and the Steelhead are going to be there.
ejsell likes this.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:30 AM

flycaster99 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for the advise!

Is Steelhead Alley Outfitters based in Cleveland? If not how far are they from Cleveland? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Lake Erie tribes will produce...I promise you that! it has been an average year here on Steelhead Alley but things always pick up in late February through April as that is when we get our big push.
Interesting. Your Winter Run(s) match up with those on the upper Rogue River here in southern Oregon.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:10 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

I don't think Steelhead Alley Outfitters has a physical location. They have a great facebook page and website. I've never used them but have heard great things about them and have had very prompt replies from them the couple of times I've contacted them by phone and email. I was hoping, after dropping enough hints, my wife was going to get me an order of Senyo's steelhead flies for Christmas. Apparently my hints were ignored.
mridenour likes this.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Chagrin River Outfitters is in Cleveland or there a bouts. I've heard good things about them.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:24 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of
Default March Steelhead : Ohio Steelhead Alley or NY Salmon River?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Interesting. Your Winter Run(s) match up with those on the upper Rogue River here in southern Oregon.

We have two different runs...One is fall/winter which are from PA stockings and the other in spring from Ohio stockings. I believe the Ohio stocking is the Manistee strain.

Chagrin River Outfitters are first class. I've gotten to know Dan and Peter pretty well over the years and they certainly go out of their way to get you on the fish.