Little Elkhart River - Northern Indiana

pjcalla

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been to the Little Elkhart for some trout fishing? I was told to go there instead of Brookville for some winter trout action. There is a section that is C&R and flies only. I plan on going in the next couple weeks, but wanted to see if anyone on here has been and how the fishing was. I'm really itching to throw some loops, and since my local river is really high, and the smallies are less than cooperative this time of year, I thought I'd do some nymphing for some browns.

scorpion1971

Reaction score
I have never been there. I have though about giving it a try But it is a little bit of a drive from Indianapolis for a one day trip. I would be interested in knowing how you do and what you think of the river. Let us all now how you do.

rjsac09

Reaction score
Check out the LECTU guys. Mike Beachy is the president and has a wealth of knowledge. I fished it last year 3 times (first time ever catching a trout) and pulled some stocked browns and bows. Mike has caught some large browns this time of year in there that are survivors from previous years. I hope to put much more time on the water there this spring/summer in not earlier!

jdfog2

Reaction score
pjcalla

Did you give it a try yet?

I plan to try it when it warms up a bit :)

I am going to try Otter Creek in Kentucky in the next month - 6 weeks or so

JD

scorpion1971

Reaction score
How far is Otter creek from Indy? I am looking at giving the Mad River a shot if I can get a few days off from work. Woring 2nd shift and trying to find time to try new places is not always easy.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Nope, haven't made it up there yet. I didn't buy the trout stamp last year, so I'm going to wait until I buy my new license to add it...only a couple more weeks.

For all of you in Indy, have you gone out lately? I've been to the White River four times in the last month. No dice. The flows were down yesterday (Sunday), but still a little high. With the warm up and the rain coming, it will be unfishable for quite a while. I'm ready for spring.

fishers_fisherman

Reaction score
Haven't even attempted anything around Indy lately. Getting pretty worked up at the prospect of 55 degree weather toward the end of the week but thinking the snowmelt is probably going cause a bit too much flooding for the White, at least at the spots I usually wade.

scorpion1971

Reaction score
I have not even thought of going out around Indy. It will be at least a week before things are back to normal after all this rain and melt off.

pjcalla

Reaction score
Haven't even attempted anything around Indy lately. Getting pretty worked up at the prospect of 55 degree weather toward the end of the week but thinking the snowmelt is probably going cause a bit too much flooding for the White, at least at the spots I usually wade.
Just curious, where do you normally go? If you don't want to say, that's fine too. I think I've hit every public access from 146th down to 82nd. Well, there are a couple that I've scouted that I need to get in the water, but that will happen in the spring or sooner if the levels and weather cooperate.

I have not even thought of going out around Indy. It will be at least a week before things are back to normal after all this rain and melt off.
Wow, yea. Last weekend when I went out it was at 450 cfs and around 4.2 feet. Now it is pushing 7,500 cfs and 13.5 feet, and still rising. It's going to be awhile.

fishers_fisherman

Reaction score
Just curious, where do you normally go? If you don't want to say, that's fine too. I think I've hit every public access from 146th down to 82nd. Well, there are a couple that I've scouted that I need to get in the water, but that will happen in the spring or sooner if the levels and weather cooperate.

Wow, yea. Last weekend when I went out it was at 450 cfs and around 4.2 feet. Now it is pushing 7,500 cfs and 13.5 feet, and still rising. It's going to be awhile.
I'll mainly hit it off of 146th around town but my preferred stretch is up in Anderson at the park. Most of time I'll hit Geist in the kayak but checked that out last week and my usual put in spot was still frozen