The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By driftlessman
  • 2 Post By mcnerney
  • 1 Post By buddhist_palm
  • 1 Post By itchmesir

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 09:12 AM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default Where to fish in Wisconsin this summer?

I'm thinking of warmer weather here in Wisconsin. Now that I've finished writing my dissertation I'll have some more time on my hands this summer, and a bit more money than I've had for the last few years.

I've got a couple of small streams out in the driftless that I like to hit, but I'd like to get on some bigger trout water this summer, and probably get out of the city for a couple of days.

There are some obvious choices, Kickapoo, Pike, Bois Brule, I get the sense though, that some of these more famous streams get over fished, But I've never gotten out to any of these waters.

Where do the big brookies live in Wisconsin in the summer? Where can I actually cast 30-40' and toss a dry down a riffle?

What say you?
Old 02-07-2014, 12:43 PM

driftlessman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to fish in Wisconsin this summer?

Good Luck finding these conditions. I have found that the biggest brookies live in the smallest, most undesturbed waters. Try fishing just outside of the more common areas. Some of the sand creeks in Trempealeau counties are very very underfished, and have large numbers of brookies. Some pigs too. I'd be hardpressed to find a brown around my home area, but would not have a problem catching at least one 18" brookie in a weekend of fishing. The streams are thick, and very hard to fish, but it pays off.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

This book gives some good information on fishing Wisconsin:
Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin & Iowa eBook: John Motoviloff: Books Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin & Iowa eBook: John Motoviloff: Books

Larry
itchmesir and buddhist_palm like this.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:35 PM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
This book gives some good information on fishing Wisconsin:
Amazon.com: Flyfisher's Guide to Wisconsin & Iowa eBook: John Motoviloff: Books

Larry
excellent book covering a lot of good water.

there is a section in there for the central sands region, i see a lot of big brookies coming from out in that area
mcnerney likes this.