The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigjim5589

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road
Default Lake Maxinkuckee Smallmouth

Have any of you guys fished Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, IN for spring smallmouth? It is about a 45 minute drive from our place and we have never tried it out. Looking at heading there this spring for a day trip to see if I can get some smallies to hit a fly or two...what do you guys typically use for springtime spawning smallies in the flatts? I have a good amount of clousers & some poppers ready to go. What else might I need to get in my box?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lake Maxinkuckee Smallmouth

Can't help you with that area, but there are a lot of good flies that work well for Smallmouths. The Clousers & poppers should certainly be in your box. I would also add a few big leech patterns. I like a simple one tied in the Clouser Minnow style, which is nothing more than black ostrich herl, tied very full, and a few strands of Flashabou. I generally use gold, bronze or copper, a few strands of each. Vary the barbell sizes to get different sink rates & for fishing in both shallow & deeper water. I tie them on size 2 hooks & larger, up to 2/0 (straight shank plastic worm hooks). Easy tie, but killer on Smallmouths.
Click the image to open in full size.

I like big Murdich Minnows too, particularly when the water clarity is off.
These are variants I tie, but based on the versions tied by Joe Cornwall who writes for Fly Fish Ohio. He did an article about Murdich Minnows on that site a couple of year ago. The Murdich Minnow Streamer Fly - Adventures in Fly Tying Video From Fly Fish Ohio

Here's a Clouser style fly I tie for Smallmouths that is intended to imitate crayfish.

Another style of Leech. Can't go wrong with rabbit strip type flies either!

brookfieldangler likes this.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 AM

rjsac09 is on a distinguished road

Bigjim,

Thanks for sharing those patterns with me. I am working on a bunch of buggers and clousers right now and these are likely what I will switch to next. Do you have any recipe's for these? I really like all of them and your simple take on a crayfish pattern. I think sometimes guys get a little carried away! I usually want something I can tie fairly quickly and doesn't require a TON of material...most places I smallie fish now are full of snags and when you start popping off flies that take 20-30 minutes each that could get old quick! Thanks again!

Anyone else have any patterns? We are planning on going to Traverse City in early June too so any patterns I will need for that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:38 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I'm out on the road now, ( tractor trailer driver) so hope this works. My typing is not great to begin with either.

Those Clousers are tied with tobacco brown, Danville Flat Waxed Nylon thread, bar dyed rabbit strip tail, and the hair is coyote tail with much of the underfur removed. The upper portion has been dyed, but the white portion is natural colored. Come to think of it, that white hair might be from a fox tail, I can't remember exactly. Anyway, doesn't matter as both types of hair are good for patterns like this and you can tie them in any color you wish. I like using various colors, but particularly like tan's, olive's &
rusty brown shades for crayfish.
There's a few strands of Polar Flash in there as well.

The pictured flies are tied on a 2/0 Matzuo Sickle bait holder hook, but any hook you like could be used. I was experimenting with these hooks at the time. I tie a lot of bass flies on straight shank plastic worm hooks also.

The eyes used are lead barbells that have a flat side for adding stick on eyes. I don't recall the brand, but it's not critical, as any barbell eyes will work.

The last fly is tied with a dark brown thread, again doesn't matter what color thread you use. The tail is a olive variant or "grizzly" rabbit strip with a few strands Polar Flash tied in first so it's under the tail.

The body has some holographic silver Estaz Metallique, then the front portion is straight cut Australian Opossum strip. However, any strip type fur could be used, even rabbit. Again, I was experimenting! I will sometimes use straight cut strips to wrap bodies, as it makes them look fuller & gives them a bigger profile compared to cross cut strips. As you can see the barbell eyes are the same I used in the Clouser style flies.

That's pretty much it for the pattern's. They're fairly simple & easy to tie.

The Murdich Minnow is a bit more complicated, but still not a difficult pattern. That link has a good recipe. I substituted a product called "Hackle Flash" (Cascade Crest) in the body, because I had some & had used it before. I purchase it from JStockard. The flies pictured are tied on stainless saltwater hooks, but again use any hook you like. They're also over 6" long, but they can be scaled to any size.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask here or by PM.

Jim

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!