The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Feathers and Cheddar

Another forum I used to belong to (not fishing related) used to be real big with members maintaining journals. I think its a great way to not only learn about each other but also could provide us some serious insight into the areas and waters we all call home...

As for many, spring came late in my area. We had a serious amount of snow this winter and when the melt finally came a lot of the rivers remained high and muddy for the first couple of weeks.

With steelhead in mind, I was forced to prospect some of the small Lake Michigan tribs where where the water was quick in and quick out.

Click the image to open in full size.

My first few early spring trips proved to be extremely difficult. Fished 3 different rivers and came out on the other side with not much to show for it. On my first few trips for steelies, im officially 0/1 on catches, literally loosing my one and only at my feet in the run pictured below...

I did spend some time scouting some of the creeks that flow into some of the local warm water rivers in the area. Most of these are devoid of life as of now but once the season really gets going, i would imagine some serious game fish will be running up these. I hope my scouting trips will pay dividends later this spring and summer. Here is a few of the creeks

My next post does contain fish and will come in quick succession as it already has transpired. I hope to catch you up on my latest adventure and also do a good job maintaining this thread for the 2014 season.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Feathers and Cheddar

Recovering from a bruised ego from my early spring steelhead trips I decided a driftless trip was in order. Game fish in wisconsin is closed till next month and stream trout is in its early catch and release season right now. Perfect!

I started on a small tributary of the famed Kickapoo system, a gem of a stream I haven't fished in 2 years. It is funny how the face of this creek has changed since my last visit. Pools have vanished and some have been created, but one thing is for sure, the naturally reproducing trout are still a mainstay here.

Both these photos above show pools that didn't exist last time I was here. Regardless both of them were chalked with fish.

I fished most of the morning in the rain and poked 20 something fish on a bugger before venturing out yonder looking for new water.

The next creek I fished was a trib of the Bad Axe and was new water for me. I could tell instantly that this stream was money. Both bridge crossings had pools of visible trout and I put in a good hour here before getting chased of by thunder and lightning. A few fish came to hand in this stretch

I took the rain as a sign the head into town for a quick bite and gave the storm a chance to move on.

Afternoon was a game of cat and mouse with storm fronts. I moved my way east and then eventually south fishing my way home. Even though the winds picked up I still scored plenty of trouts on the 2 other creeks I hit on my way home. This pasture section was a bit difficult to fish in the wind but a well placed cast was rewarded more often then not.

Things seemed to fall into place on this trip despite the wind and rain. I felt as if I could do no wrong and caught fish at every stop, even at a place that had proved to be my kryptonite in the past. This river had given me the skunk two previous times, but today I prevailed.

I caught some fish, met some great people stream side, and had one hell of a trip!
Old 04-15-2014, 09:12 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Those are some beautiful fish! Still looking to catch my first brown of the year! Congrats!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Very nice and the fish have the 'I was born here' look about them.

Ard

PS. Here in Alaska I just write stories about memorable events but don't keep a strict journal any longer. There aren't really any hatches to count. This link; Keeping A Log Book? has a lot of feedback about logs and the members.
mridenour and buddhist_palm like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

I had fished the Driftless, out of necessity, a few years ago as the Milwaukee was blown out for chrome. It was our first time to fish the small creeks and some of the creeks mentioned look familiar.
Blake, good luck on the chase for the chrome!
mridenour likes this.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Very nice and the fish have the 'I was born here' look about them.

PS. Here in Alaska I just write stories about memorable events but don't keep a strict journal any longer. There aren't really any hatches to count. This link has a lot of feedback about logs and the members.
Thanks for the link, i took the time to read back through the entire thread, good stuff.

those little natural producing trout are real gems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
I had fished the Driftless, out of necessity, a few years ago as the Milwaukee was blown out for chrome. It was our first time to fish the small creeks and some of the creeks mentioned look familiar.
Good luck on the chase for the chrome!
The driftless is a special place to me, IMO there is nothing better then those streams to me, even chromers. The DA isnt about big fish, its all about the experience. The people around the Lake Michigan tribs kinda ruin that experience. Thanks though, I'm still on the hunt

Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 AM

Inside my office complex runs a tiny warm water creek. They have dammed the creek at one end of the office complex and have created a series of flood retention ponds. I have worked here for over 15 years and have caught plenty of your typical warm water fish out of here. A lot of it is shallow and hard to fish but working the high percentage points will yield some decent fish.

Carp seem to be the most abundant of all the fish (or at least the most visible). Now that we are experiencing some intermittent warm days, I've taken my break time walking the ponds. High sun and warm days there have been a ton of carp moving on to the "flats" and have been super easy to spot. Thursday I counted nearly a dozen while out on break.

I have never caught a carp on the fly rod yet but decided that afternoon when I got off to give it a go. Returning to the "flats" as soon as I got out I found that the conditions had changed tremendously. The wind had picked up considerably and the fish were not concentrated as before.

My thoughts as an outsider to fly carping makes me think of stalking fish that are nose down and feeding by sight. The wind whipped surface made that impossible. I decided to poke around a few more spots in the park.

I rolled up to a road bridge that seperates two of the ponds. When the water is up there is some decent current here but for now it was just a trickle of water going through. I must have been a good boy today because nearly 20 carp were sitting in front of that bridge!

I'll be dammed, my first cast spooked every single fish out of the hole. Patience finally prevailed and after a bit some feeders moved back in. I didn't get many turns on the hares ear but the orange scud got a few to turn after it. Couple of botched hookups but finally my first carp on fly

Yes blurry photo but he was slimy and hard to hang on to. The fish bolted back home so this was the only photo I managed...
mridenour and Flygrain like this.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:40 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about

Blake, good job! It reminds me of the 18 lb carp that took a popper on my 4 wt rod 6 years ago. What a fight.
Where you using a 5 wt for your carp?
Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
Where you using a 5 wt for your carp?
yup, still trying out the featherlight...

im seriously impressed with it so far, i have a second rod that i need to break in.

a short little wonderod purist i picked up this winter also
Old 04-21-2014, 07:28 AM

Easter weekend was fun. Went on the hunt for some bluegill with my daughter. She is seeming to enjoy fishing with me more then my son...

I think I'm just gonna go with it

We tried a couple of the bigger lakes and had a tough time finding panfish in the shallows...

Moving to some smaller waters we found some gills and even a few crappie up shallow!

My daughter enjoys spending time tying flies with me and being outdoors. She makes quite the fishing partner!