The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM

pjcalla will become famous soon enough
Default Northwest Michigan help needed - Petoskey Area

Well, my spring "dock weekend" is quickly approaching in about a month and I'm in need of some fishing help. We (a group of 8-12 male family members) have a semi-annual "dock weekend" where we head up to the lake house and put in/take out the family dock. This weekend has been centered on drinking scotch, smoking cigars, golf and a little bit of "work" around the lake house. Basically, it gets the men of the family away for a long weekend under the guise that we work our tails off for the family. Don't get me wrong, we get the work done, but it has become more of a "guys' trip" than anything (which isn't a bad thing).

Well, I haven't golfed much lately, and to be honest, I'd rather fish. So, I'm looking to get into some trout while the others golf. There aren't trout streams where I live (2 hour drive), and it's all I can do to get to my local river for a couple hours every so often in search of smallies, so I figure this would be a great opportunity to get into some trout.

I've done some research online, but it seems that there is a lot of private water up there, and I don't want to mess with angry landowners. I'm not completely against paying to fish, since I would be paying for golf, but I would rather find some public water. I know of Hidden River Golf and Casting Club, which we've golfed there in the past and fish were rising.

I guess I'm looking for some help in locating good water to fish that is relatively close to some golf courses. My thought is that they could drop me river side, on the way to golf and pick me up on the way back. Or, just some good water in general. If I know of some spots, I may be able to persuade the group to certain golf courses that would allow me to fish. I'm not looking for your honey hole, just some water that I could pull tight on some trout.

We normally golf within about an hour drive from the Petoskey area. Boyne (Mountain and Highlands), Crooked Tree, Little Traverse, Dunmaglas (I'll golf that one), Charlevoix Country Club, Hidden River, Black Bear, etc.

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 AM

cavdvr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Northwest Michigan help needed - Petoskey Area

Your have great trout fishing within a hour.... There is the Bear, the Boyne and Jordan rivers south and south west.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/30_416022_7.pdf

Michigan DNR for trout

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...1883--,00.html
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...1883--,00.html

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...7_182400_7.pdf

https://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/30_416022_7.pdf

Michigan's Blue Ribbon Trout Streams

Okay, so past that I would get a DeLorme Michigan Atlas & Gazzetteer. That will REALLY help you to discover little roads, 2-tracks and so on throughout state and federal land around there. Naturally, once you find designated federal or state lands, it's even easier once you also pick up one of their maps.

In any case, I'll also try in the next few days to look up some specific areas around there that have known public access and are also known to be some of our better streams and rivers.

B.E.F.

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Also, look to the Jordan & Boyne rivers which are close and there is a significant amount of information upon...Once you narrow down where you intend on fishing (river system) I'll try and help you find access sites and so on.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 PM

hairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud ofhairwing530 has much to be proud of

The Boyne and Jordan Rivers both are excellent choices. And, if you can convince the guys that they really should play "The Bear" and the new Gary Player course at Grand Traverse Resort over in Acme near Traverse City, you'll be on the doorstep of the Boardman River as well. As legend has it, the Adams fly was tied for the Boardman, the river on which it is rumored to have made its debut.

Of course, that was a little before my time...

Jerry, aka hairwing530
Old 04-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! Looks like I have more reading to do with all those links.

Jerry, we have talked about playing The Bear in the past, but some of the guys are what we call "farmers," they just dig holes. In any event, I will be taking the flies from the 160 box you and your kids tied up for me. Looking forward to getting them wet.

Take Care,
Jeremy
Old 05-12-2014, 07:29 AM

Well, I'm leaving a a few days, and things are looking good. I will be taking my truck up this year, so I will be able to drive myself to the spots, as opposed to getting dropped off. I'm looking into the Boyne and Jordan Rivers, as they are closest, which means more time on the water.

Hopefully, I'll be fishing Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. If anyone knows good access points on those rivers, or wants to meet up, I'm all for it. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

Just a suggestion, you may want to check water levels. I don't have first hand experience with the specific rivers you were planning to fish, but I do know a number of rivers in Michigan are currently running very high.

We had alot of snow, it's been a pretty wet spring, it it's been raining pretty heavy the past couple of days.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM

Yea, good idea. That spaced my mind, since I was getting excited to fish for some trout. Any websites that could tell me the levels? Also, what levels are considered "safe" for wading? I know that is regional, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:46 PM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

The USGS monitors alot of rivers -

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04127800 JORDAN RIVER NEAR EAST JORDAN, MI

I know the rivers I fish in terms of what levels are or aren't wadable/fishable. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the rivers in your neck of the woods.

If you do fish any river fairly regular, make it a point to check the water level before or after your outing, it won't take long to get a good feel in terms of relating the numbers to the conditions of the river.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
The USGS monitors alot of rivers -

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 04127800 JORDAN RIVER NEAR EAST JORDAN, MI

I know the rivers I fish in terms of what levels are or aren't wadable/fishable. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the rivers in your neck of the woods.

If you do fish any river fairly regular, make it a point to check the water level before or after your outing, it won't take long to get a good feel in terms of relating the numbers to the conditions of the river.
Absolutely. I guess I put up a quick response without thinking. I always check the USGS on my home river before heading out, but I guess my post was aimed more about what was "fishable" for the MI rivers. My apologies.
pszy22 likes this.