The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By troutn
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 09:42 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about
Default First Rainbow of the year

Got out on Saturday for a couple of hours. One of the few stocked streams in Ohio with public access is a couple of hours from my house so with the excuse that I needed to try out my new Simms Rivertek boots before heading to Connecticut later this week, I loaded up my car after the kids soccer games. I hit the water at about 3:30 and had the place to myself. This stream is a very small but is spring fed and runs very deep in areas. The stream had taken a beating from flooding since the last time I was there and several of the holes had changed. After about an hour the only thing I had caught was a 6" piece of someone's vinyl siding. The last time I had fished this stream was in the fall and while I got skunked I saw dozens of trout sitting in one particular well known hole. I had gotten a couple of chases but no bites. When I first got to the park I checked out that hole and didn't see anything so I moved on. After catching the siding I decided to head back to the hole. It had changed drastically since the fall, didn't look as deep and a fallen tree had been dredged out by the flooding. I tied on a white bunny zonker and let it drift through the hole. On the first drift I caught a 6 inch river chub. I figured where there's one species there's got to be two. Second drift through along the tree I got a nice hit and in short order landed my first rainbow of the year. Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
After safely releasing her I fished another hour but she was my only bite.
I did walk around a little just to check out what mother nature had done to the stream. Last fall my brother in law got a nice bite in a hole about where that green bottle is. Click the image to open in full size.
The stream did flow along that high bank and right under that tree. It's amazing how a stream can move that much in a few months time.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 PM

troutn has a spectacular aura abouttroutn has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: First Rainbow of the year

Thanks for the report. We were in your state a couple of weeks ago for our first ever Steelhead Alley trip. It couldn't have been any better. It was a 610 mile jaunt from St. Louis but worth the trip.
mcnerney and ejsell like this.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:29 AM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutn View Post
Thanks for the report. We were in your state a couple of weeks ago for our first ever Steelhead Alley trip. It couldn't have been any better. It was a 610 mile jaunt from St. Louis but worth the trip.
Looks like you guys had a good time. I've done two separate week long trips to Michigan and a single day trip to the alley and only have one steelhead. All of my trips have been in the fall though. The spring got shot with the weather and we had to cancel every trip we planned over to the alley. This weekend we're heading to Connecticut to try some trout fishing on the Housatonic and in two weeks we're planning a day trip to the a Rocky River in Cleveland for steelhead. Hopefully there's still some in the system.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet looking Rainbow, congrats!

Larry
ejsell likes this.