The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 AM

mfick is on a distinguished road
Default michigan in June

Im taking my father to michigan in june and was wondering if anyone could give s few ideas as to a few day trips or neat areas to fly fish? We will be camping around the grayling area, on the manistee, but usually day trip to at least the Jordan and Au Sable, maybe a couple smaller streams. Wouldn't mind exploring some new water this time around, being that he doesn't get around that well, this may be one of the last chances to do so. He started bringing me up over 20 years ago to teach me how to flyfish, figure I owe him at least this much. Private messages welcome.

Thanks guys.

Michael
hairwing530 and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:58 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: michigan in June

Well past heading to some of the bigger waters and drift fishing, I guess I'll need to ask what "doesn't get around that well" mean?

I'm not intending on sounding offensive or pry, but is it his breath/heart/general age that limits him? Cane, walker, wheelchair, oxygen?.....I'm not really asking you to get specific and detailed as to the personal trials of his life, just trying to get a better idea to know what to suggest.

Ex.
A. He can walk for 50 yards comfortably if level ground, then rest a bit before doing so again. 20 yards if the terrain is rough, and can wade reasonably.
B. Uses a walking stick, terrain cannot be too rough, and must fish from shore.
C. Needs walker/wheelchair access, and must be able to sit when fishing.

If you don't feel comfortable stating such here, feel free to PM me....However, by posting so all can reply you'll get your greatest volume of responses.

B.E.F.
mfick and hairwing530 like this.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:43 AM

No, its quite all right. He can get around, but he had a number of surgeries on his back, so we wont be hiking a mile into the forest. Boating is usually a home run; I know we want to rent a drift boat below Mio for at least one day.
hairwing530 and grtlksmarlin like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:41 AM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

Mfick;

First thing I'm going to suggest is that you get a DeLorme Michigan Atlas. Now the reason I say that is besides the fact that it will help you discover little places nearby, it will also contain all of those great 2-tracks that parallel rivers in the area and help you to find ways to get close for easy access.

That said start here: Michigan's Blue Ribbon Trout Streams

That will aim you toward a major river system and shows you what are considered "blue ribbon" sections (which i don't personally fish). After you figure out how much of a radius you want to drive then I'll sit down and go through my Delorme atlas where i have highlighted every single designated trout stream in Michigan, and try and point you to easily accessible places.

B.E.F.
mfick, hairwing530 and double d like this.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:39 AM

pszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to beholdpszy22 is a splendid one to behold

The good news is you couldn't pick a better time to be fly fishing in the state of Michigan than June.

You really won't have any trouble finding a place to fish. There is alot of great water, much of it readily accessible. It's literally park your car, walk less than a 1/4 city block, and start fishing.

One thing I will say, plan to fish mornings and evenings, find something else fun to do during the day. That's one thing I notice, alot of folks start fishing just after things slow down, and go home just before the fishing picks up again.

If you want to try something a little different, try fishing for smallmouth in Lake Michigan. One great spot is Wilderness State Park. Depending on where and when you are at, you might want to try night fishing for the hex hatch. It can sometimes be hit or miss, but it's very exciting fishing when you hit it.

Have fun
mfick and grtlksmarlin like this.

Tenkara Fly Fishing

Tenkara Fly Fishing Forum

Tenkara Fly Fishing Blog

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" - John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo
Old 05-02-2014, 07:11 AM

Thanks for all of the help, guys. Im feeling more and more confident that this trip will be something to remember. It's hard to go wrong with the old man and a clear, cool trout stream.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Remember to post a radius you're willing to drive...It will help folks to suggest good spots.

B.E.F.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:47 PM

Anything lower peninsula would be fair game!
Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

I'll say that the boardman right now is having a hard time after the Brown Bridge Dam failure. It's fixed now but time for habitat to heal up. They are removing 3 dams on that stretch. In 5-10 years it might be a top rive in the US type of river. But it needs time to grow.

I fished the Jordan this weekend in very poor conditions. Bad cold and heavy rain. but, I found some nice spots for later.

I am intrigued with the Boyne river. I have never fished it but hear its nice.
also,
I have never fished but might by the end of the year
Boyne
Rifle
Sturgeon
Black
Pigeon-might be recovering from massive fish kill a couple of years ago.

Again I have never fished those an know nothing of the access.
We have time and I plan on seeing these rivers at some point. I will pipe in some information as I get to them. No promises but I like to explore and I am not too far from them. well not more than 3 hours.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfick View Post
Anything lower peninsula would be fair game!
I've not forgotten about this thread, yet "anything L.P." just won't work either. I'll try to come up with something different yet hopefully productive for you in the next few days.

B.E.F.