The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Fly Fishing in the United States > Great Lakes Region

Great Lakes Region Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Post fishing reports, ask for information, discuss this area...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 04:48 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ludington

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
Thanks for all the info and links grtlksmarlin.

I second everything grtlks said
Good info. Maybe too much info hmmmmm
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I have only fished the Baldwin area a few times, but your vibram soles should be fine. Thats all I use in Michigan any more. The P.M. is a federally designated stream. There are times of the year when you need a permit to float. That may be Memorial Day through Labor Day, I'm not sure. Whoever you rent from should know.

T.U. has published a guide book for the P.M. It tells all the access spots with good directions. Any of the fly shops in Baldwin should have a copy. It is money well spent.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:34 PM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

Pm lodge has a hand drawn map that can be confusing but outlines all of the spots in the flys only stretch.
It's a fun river with lots of room. Going during the week you'll find fewer people but if the steel is still there you won't be alone as mentioned before. Lots of was able spots and if your floating you'll have great access.
I usually go to Green Cottage, Gleasons Landing or the Baldwin Confluence, Been to Clay banks but they are hard to find/get to if by car.
From Baldwin you can also fish the Little Manistee and the Big Manistee.
Me? I prefer the PM.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Also, black stone flies, nuke eggs,various streamers on the swing.
Beads are outlawed and nets with over a 14" handle are against the law on flies only water on the PM-
Old 05-04-2014, 08:44 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Beads are outlawed? You mean like beads with bare hook or beadheads on nymphs?
Old 05-04-2014, 08:59 PM

[QUOTE=itchmesir;664760]Beads are outlawed? You mean like beads with bare hook or beadheads on nymphs?[/QUOTE
Yeah, I was really confused when I heard this because anything that I have that has weight to it has a brass lead metal head on it. But basically what the fly shop said is that plastic egg type stuff is illegal. If it is yarn thread feather it is considered a fly and is legal.

What some guys are doing is tying on a plastic egg and then the hook like 6 inches down from the egg-the fish eats the egg and then the fisherman sets the hook and it sets outside the jaw. So, to make it fair for the fish they outlawed it on the PM. There's a massive debate about it on the local sportsman forum. I'll try to dig it up.

so, just don't use plastic eggs.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

BTW the net rule is April May june only. not sure why.

here's the thread with the bead debate. I had a fly shop help me. In Baldwin there's the PM lodge-they are an orvis shop and very good guys.

Beads NOT legal in Flies-Only reach of the Pere Marquette - The Michigan Sportsman Forums
Old 05-04-2014, 09:02 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Right on. Good to know. Didn't want to have to tie a box just for this trip haha.
flyfishmich likes this.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:38 PM

grtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the roughgrtlksmarlin is a jewel in the rough

So, how'd it work out?

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.